Respected Contributor

I have a 2015 Apple MacBook Air.  I keep getting notices to switch to Chrome.  Is this a good idea or should I stick with Safari?

Honored Contributor

Safari is the software for Macs. I only use Chrome for some programs

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Safari is the IOS browser (Apple)

Chrome is Android's browser. It is considered OS agnostic. It's an Alphabet product.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I have a 2015 Apple MacBook Air.  I keep getting notices to switch to Chrome.  Is this a good idea or should I stick with Safari?

@bargainsgirl,

While Safari is the browser native to Apple devices, it often isn't the best option -- can be a cantankerous choice in some cases, not always communicating smoothly with some websites.  

Even though I've been an Apple fan for most of my business and personal life, I generally use Safari as a secondary browser and most recently I've been using Brave as the primary browser on my Mac and mobile devices, but Google Chrome and Firefox work well, too.  

Where are you getting "notices"? What's generating them, what's the source?

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@bargainsgirl,

While Safari is the browser native to Apple devices, it often isn't the best option -- can be a cantankerous choice in some cases, not always communicating smoothly with some websites.  

Even though I've been an Apple fan for most of my business and personal life, I generally use Safari as a secondary browser and most recently I've been using Brave as the primary browser on my Mac and mobile devices, but Google Chrome and Firefox work well, too.  

Notices come from pop-ups on Google.

Honored Contributor

Re: Chrome vs Safari

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@bargainsgirl,

Notices come from pop-ups on Google.

@bargainsgirl, Sounds like promotional pop-ups, something I'd steer very far away from.  Those can range from nuisance to dangerous.  Be sure pop-ups are blocked in Safari settings and consider installing one or more pop-up blockers.  

eta:  If you do want to install different browsers, never do so via pop-ups or promos -- always, always, always go to their official website to download and install.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

And check to see if your computer is updated with the most current software updates.

Esteemed Contributor

Chrome is a Google OS.  Not native to any Apple product.  Just ignore and block if you can.

Valued Contributor
I also have an older Mac. I cannot complete purchases or enter certain information on some websites unless I use chrome. I found this out when having issues and called customer service for help. They advised to try a different browser, it resolved the problem.
Honored Contributor

I use three...Chrome, Safari & Brave.  It's nice to switch them if there happens to be a problem with one.  I find myself using Brave more now.