Esteemed Contributor

We have been a loyal Sprint customer for a long time.  It seems if I were a customer of another carrier I could get a really good price for switching over to Sprint.  My cell plan price  is very high to say the least with no relief in sight.  I have a two year contract and am renting my phones (2) from them.  One year to go.

Does anyone know if I can go to another carrier and work a deal to get rid of the phones and start a whole new plan at reduced rates.  Thinking of Verizon or anyone else for that matter.  I am paying far too much.  Don't know how to fix the pricing and find someone else because of the contract and the rental. 

I want to keep my phone number.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cell phone plans and advice

We're limited where we are regarding providers, however we've been with AT&T for years prior to our move and apparently AT&T started providing service here just about when we got here.  We negociated our terms.  Wanted a "family plan", unlimited calls and texts and have been pretty happy with them, more or less.  My recommendation is to shop around with a list of services what you want and see what they can offer you.  I know they have price points for various services, but they don't want you to walk out either.....

We all have iPhones.....  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

Some carriers advertise they will give you money to pay off your contract with your current carrier. if you have a smartphone that you are paying monthly on you will most likely have to pay that phone off  (if you ask Sprint they will let you know what you owe)  You would then get a SIM card for the carrier you want to go to.  Not so easy to change some times.  I will tell you I personally like AT&T. We have a pretty good deal but there are 5 of us to share the cost.  I think Verizion is the most expensive. Call around. 

Super Contributor

Sorry to hear that you've still got 1 yr left.  I'm surprised that cell phone contracts are still being offered unless one has an i-phone. 

I have a plan through Virgin -- now called:  Boost Mobile.  Had to buy a phone from them and their phone cost ranged from $69 on up to $299,

No contract.  My previous cellphone phone number was ported to my current cellphone.  Plan includes unlimited calls, unlimited texts.  I use phone for emails and internet, etc.

Cost is:  $35.48/month (that includes taxes) which is auto-deducted from my AMEX card.  LOVE my plan.  Have had it for almost 3 years.  Never any problems.  Been living without a landline for close to 6 years.

Back to your original question:  you should figure out how much it will cost to cancel your contract; find out if you can keep your physical phone if you cancel; and investigate other providers and their cost.

You CAN keep your same phone number - that is YOURS and NOT the cellphone providers.

Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

Wanted to add. You should check and see how reception is in your area.  My son had T-Mobil for a while. Said reception was bad. No problems with AT&T. My daughter lives in Alaska. She only has reception with AT&T or Verizion. 

Trusted Contributor

Try Consumer Cellular---no contracts.  $50 a month for unlimited hrs.  I have 750 hrs and 2 people on my plan and pay $38 a month because I don't use a lot of minutes. 2 Phones were free.  They have all kinds of phones and plans starting at $10 a month.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

We have been a loyal Sprint customer for a long time.  It seems if I were a customer of another carrier I could get a really good price for switching over to Sprint.  My cell plan price  is very high to say the least with no relief in sight.  I have a two year contract and am renting my phones (2) from them.  One year to go.

Does anyone know if I can go to another carrier and work a deal to get rid of the phones and start a whole new plan at reduced rates.  Thinking of Verizon or anyone else for that matter.  I am paying far too much.  Don't know how to fix the pricing and find someone else because of the contract and the rental. 

I want to keep my phone number.

I have been a Verizon customer for 15 years. I have an old contract so the monthly price is less than $100 for a phone.

The price of a Note 5 phone from Verizon AT&T, or Sprint is about the same. Sprint and AT&T lease the phone to you, and Verizon allows people  to buy a phone on a monthly payment plan.

Verizon has deals from time to time. You need to check the site for offers.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

We have been a loyal Sprint customer for a long time.

Depends on what you consider a long time.  Also are you a customer in good standing?  Meaning never and/or rarely late paying your bill.

My brother has been a Sprint customer in good standing since 1989.  He gets free phones & pays no more than $50/monthly for a 2 yr contract.  He has everything under the sun.

When he negotiates it is always w/a supervisor, manager or customer relations.  Never w/a customer rep. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Call your carrier and ask to speak to someone in the retention department.  Tell them you need to renegociate your plan and make it competitive with other companies.  I recently did this with Comcast and reduced my bill by $20 a month.   

Esteemed Contributor

We have Verizon and I have never had any problems with reception. My brother goes by price only and when his son was in a head on car accident, it was hard getting ahold of him because his recetion is bad when he is at work.

My daughter had Sprint and couldn't call me when she was in her kitchen.

Go with comapnies that have good reception in your area....