Trusted Contributor

Re: CAUSE OF "STICKY" CURSOR?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm having a bit of trouble and am hoping someone knows the cause ......  my cursor seems to stick to words and tabs and I can't "shake them off".   

Sometimes I'll cut and paste something and a little black circle with a line through it will catch the thing I'm C & P-ing and won't let go.   

If I have several tabs pinned, the cursor might catch on a tab and nothing releases it!

Sometimes I'll move my cursor across the page ... and everything within range will highlight.

I really hope someone knows what I'm talking about (and what this problem is actually called)  .... this happens on different browsers.  

I've repeatedly cleared browsing data and restarted the laptop ... doesn't seem to help.   

Any ideas?   TIA !!!

Hi @Tinkrbl44,

I agree with the others here and I would just go with using a mouse.

I use a wireless mouse with my Chromebook. It works out fine for me.

It's just a personal preference that I have, as I have trouble using my hands and arms as it is due to mobility issues so I have difficulty swiping/controling with the track pad on my Chromebook. 

I use an HP wireless mouse and have had good luck with them.

Honored Contributor

Funny, it was fine for months, and now it's doing it again.   No idea what fixed it, and no idea why it started up again.  

I've never used a mouse, only laptops with a trackpad, so even trying a mouse felt pretty weird and inefficient.  

I'm going to see if there are some ideas under Troubleshooting.  This should be interesting.

Honored Contributor

Even when I was using a laptop, I have never used the trackpad.  I always used a wireless mouse.  If I was using a laptop now, I couldn't use the trackpad because my right hand is disfigured and I'm very righthanded.  I would never get a touch screen either, for the same reason, which is why I do not have an iPhone or a tablet.

Now that I'm using a desktop again, I am using a regular wired mouse. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

When I have a weird problem, I Google the problem.

"what cause a malfunctioning trackpad".....or ..."trackpad cursor sticking", any of those terms.

You will pull up different techie websites or forums where this problem has happened to other people and read what they did. There is always pretty good tech advice online. Just look at what website it is, the good ones you will recognize. If it is a good forum, the advice is usually good.

Saves troubleshooting in setttings when you don't know what to change.