Honored Contributor

I'm having a bit of trouble and am hoping someone knows the cause ......  my cursor seems to stick to words and tabs and I can't "shake them off".   

Sometimes I'll cut and paste something and a little black circle with a line through it will catch the thing I'm C & P-ing and won't let go.   

If I have several tabs pinned, the cursor might catch on a tab and nothing releases it!

Sometimes I'll move my cursor across the page ... and everything within range will highlight.

I really hope someone knows what I'm talking about (and what this problem is actually called)  .... this happens on different browsers.  

I've repeatedly cleared browsing data and restarted the laptop ... doesn't seem to help.   

Any ideas?   TIA !!!

Respected Contributor

Re: CAUSE OF "STICKY" CURSOR?

Did you try checking "mouse" in "system preferences"? Might need to reset that. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

Did you try checking "mouse" in "system preferences"? Might need to reset that. Good luck.

@StylishLady

I checked settings in my browser and mouse in my Control Panel, and really can't find anything relevant to adjust.  Good idea, though.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

If you have checked all the settings for mouse in control panel, let me see? Hmm!  Is this a wireless mouse or are you talking a laptop?  Did you reset(unplug or shut off) the computer?

I never have used wireless or a laptop, I like my peripherals to be hard wired, when they can. Whenever I had any trouble with a mouse, I bought a new one as they are too cheap for me to waste much time analyzing.

'bout it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Are you talking about a mouse or trackpad?

If mouse, is it wired or wireless?

If trackpad, check the trackpad settings not the mouse.

Are you using a Mac or a PC?

If you have not already done so, if your laptop is under warranty, call tech support.  OOW, use Google and/or Bing to research your issue.  To get you started, check out the iFixit website.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Replace your battery with a fresh new one.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

Are you talking about a mouse or trackpad?

If mouse, is it wired or wireless?

If trackpad, check the trackpad settings not the mouse.

Are you using a Mac or a PC?

If you have not already done so, if your laptop is under warranty, call tech support.  OOW, use Google and/or Bing to research your issue.  To get you started, check out the iFixit website.

@Mz iMac

It's a Dell PC laptop and a trackpad, not a mouse.   I'll see what happens.   thanks

Respected Contributor

When I had a Windows based computer and hardware problems, I'd get into the device manager and uninstall it.  Then I'd reboot the computer and let Windows reinstall the drivers for the hardware having problems.  If that didn't fix it, I'd look for updated drivers at the computer manufacturer's website.  If none of the above worked, I replaced it if possible.  For a bad trackpad, you'll need to get a wireless mouse.  BTW, I've always used a mouse with my notebook computers. 

Honored Contributor

It could be just dirt

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I use a corded mouse with a laptop, and disable the mouse pad.

I like this cord holder for to manage the cord.

Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Galeru Mouse Bungee for Gaming Mouse (EAC-MSB001)