Esteemed Contributor

Blocking email from a friend out of necessity ADVICE

Long story short... I have a long time friend slowly going downhill with dementia. I get four or five emails a day from him which are all forwarded emails, political, sales, jokes, chain letters. Whatever comes to him comes to me and he includes the entire distribution list (recipients). I have had to battle all kinds of hits, spoofs, hacks, whatever no doubt because of it.

I am on AOL (no help there). My ISP is Comcast. I could block him entirely, not even sure that would do any good since I am on HIS LIST. I have written him fifteen times or more asking only for personal emails from him. I have reached out to his son. Not a fix either.

As a matter of fact the more I contact him ... the emails seem to double.

Is there a way other than to block him, which I can do. Is there a way to block those who send forwarded mail.

Honored Contributor

Re: Blocking email from a friend out of necessity ADVICE

Can you hit the spam button, or just add his e mail to the block list, all e mails have them

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I know I can block. But then I have blocked the good friend and if he does have anything to say to me, I assume I will never see it. He doesn't ANSWER HIS PHONE.

I am saddened by this. He lives miles away.

Esteemed Contributor

It is sad that your friend is no longer in full control of himself, but if you are not willing to block, then you will just have to weed through all the emails. A difficult place to be. My mom became like this with the phone (she did not do computers) for a few years. Always an odd time of night and long rambles.

Trusted Contributor

Just don't open any links or attachments on emails he's forwarded and it shouldn't cause you any problems.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

Do you see some indication for forwarded mail in the inbox subject line or can you configure your account to do so? If so, then you can simply select and delete all the forwarded items without opening.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think you know better than anything I might suggest what you CAN do to minimize or eliminate this issue. Just a matter of what steps YOU decide to take. I had to block a friend of mine because of his wife. She kept forwarding big video files when I was on dial-up and that was a huge problem back in the day. I even called and talked with her about this and that would work for awhile, then she would start again so I had to completely block their emails.
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend who has sent nothing but insulting political jokes for the last 7 years. I delete every one.

Super Contributor

What I don't like is that when they send out these mailings to everyone they know, they are giving out your email address...which I do not want everyone and their brother to have! So, now I have several different email addresses. I use one for only family and banking business.

I have another for friends...because I have several friends who insist on sending out those mass mailings with jokes, inspirational sayings, chain letters, etc. I used to ask them not to send me any of those things. I also told them that I did not want my email addy shared, but they forget and end up sending them eventually anyway. Now, I refuse to give my email address out even to friends. It is too tempting for them to share it with other friends.

About all you can do other than block this person is start a new email address, and don't give it to this person. Give it to your family and closest friends only. Good luck!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

I'm not sure I understand. I think you are saying you have a friend who has dementia and he keeps sending you junk email. I'd take his email address and put him on block. That would solve the problem. There is no other way to get around it. If he says anything, just say ' I got a few viruses, I'm sorry'.

I had to do that before. The person got offended that I blocked them but I didn't care.