Contributor

I currently have McAfee, and think it slows my computer down.   I am getting a new computer with Windows 10, which should arrive around Aug. 7th.  Could someone tell me if Kaspersky or McAfee is the best?  I have heard Kaspersky is really good, but I just don't know if it worth it.  Can anyone give me some

Respected Contributor
I've had Kaspersky for several years and have been very pleased with it and so far have never had a problem. However, I don't know what is considered the best between Kaspersky and McAfee.
Honored Contributor

There is no 'best' antivirus as every program has strengths and weaknesses. If you happen to stumble upon the wrong malware (one that your software doesn't recognize) then no matter how well reviewed the software is, you may find it inadequate while a poorer reviewed software that happens to block that malware may be better for that moment.

As a rule, if you practice safe computing (keep software updated, don't open attachments, ignore pop-ups, don't believe anything that looks too good to be true, don't download 'free' music/movies/software, etc.) then pretty much any antivirus should keep you safe. The free options are typically as good as the paid versions and in some cases better.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I personally am not a fan of McAfee as it started causing problems with my computer so I switched to Norton 360 and will never go back to anything else.  I love it, catches everything and runs like clockwork.  I couldn't recommend it more.

There are other people that are much more tech savy than I am that will probably be checking in but for me I love Norton products.

Contributor

Thanks all.  I think I will go with Kaspersky, and really appreciate all of your advice. I just feel like the McAfee is really slowing this computer down, and when I get my new one, I don't want to have the same problems. 

Also, to Gardenman - which free antivirus would you recommend?  Thank you.

Contributor

The computer industry like other industires has magazines etc. with experts reviewing products.. The reviews are in laymans terms.  We are strangers on this forum and not to belittle anyone, how do you know their expertise?  Here is a copy and paste from a google search. which returne the name of one respected magazine (pcmag) but there are others.  If you prefer google for yourself.

1. Jul 06, 2015 · Security Watch Blog. Read up-to-date analysis and commentary on PC and Internet security from our experts.reviws of software.

"

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best Antivirus?

[ Edited ]

@terra wrote:

I currently have McAfee, and think it slows my computer down.   I am getting a new computer with Windows 10, which should arrive around Aug. 7th.  Could someone tell me if Kaspersky or McAfee is the best?  I have heard Kaspersky is really good, but I just don't know if it worth it.  Can anyone give me some

I used McAfee LiveSafe for a year with a new Dell desktop. It is a very nice program that runs in the background. I changed to Comcast's version of Norton 360, because it comes free with service.

If you receive McAfee with your new computer then use it. It should have been tested to work with Window 10, and your new computer's hardware.

Valued Contributor

When I had to have a virus removed when I had Norton, my computer repairman put Avast on my computer.  He said the free version is the best and not to upgrade.  I have been very pleased with Avast, and it is free.

Contributor

If you are a nosy person like I am go to the reviews on software in PC magazine

1. search for PC magazine  and find the link starting :

http://www.pcmag.com

2. click on the link you have just found and once you see the magazine online find in the upper left hand corner - All  Reviews

3 .using the pull down menu  look for anit virus and have fun reading about the software.  It is in layman's terms so you do not have to be a techie to understand it. You will note that there are reviews for all kinds of software so although you have pretty much made up your mind as to what you want to get, next time you are in the market for software you have another source as well this forum.

Someoe mentioned ways to get a virus but failed to mention the most prevalent one (or I  missed it - if so a big SORRY) and that is clicking on a link in a email that you receive from a friend,  They have the virus, which in turn uses their email address book to send you and everyoe else a bogus email, you click on the link, you now have the virus and email is sent in your name with the bogus link and all your friends that click on the link of your email now are infected, and the cycle continues.

I worked in the computer industry as a software engineer and technical support (supporting other software engineers.)  Once everone in the company got a email from our best software engineer, naturally we all read the email and clicked on the link, and of course all of us got the virus. No one had access to their computer for several days and the sys admis were run ragged.  So it happens to those of us in the industry too.  Blush.

Trusted Contributor

Actually, Gardenman is right. What one program won't cover, another one probably will.

I happen to like Avast, too. I was using the free version, and liked it enough that I decided to get the paid version for my computer.

Since you are asking Terra, I would just use whatever trial version comes on your new computer, too, and then when the trial is up, you can put the Kaspersky on there, if that is the one that you want to go with on your computer.

As another option, I would also see if your Internet Service offers free internet security coverage, though. Some do, like Nutmeg was mentioning. You can get free coverage that way, too, if you are interested in persuing that. Cat Happy