Valued Contributor

My Recently Bookmarks disappeared from my computer.  I did a search and went into About:config and went to browser.places.smartbookmarksversion and changed the number from 8 to 0 and restarted my computer.  Didn't fix the problem.  I noticed also that I can't click on the Tags either from the bookmarks.  A red icon called View Picket List came up and I took that out after my Recently Bookmarks disappeared.  Using Vista, Firefox.  Any suggestions what to do next. I do have the words Recently Bookmarks in my list but it's faded out and cannot click on it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BOOKMARKS???

[ Edited ]

@kismet wrote:

My Recently Bookmarks disappeared from my computer.  I did a search and went into About:config and went to browser.places.smartbookmarksversion and changed the number from 8 to 0 and restarted my computer.  Didn't fix the problem.  I noticed also that I can't click on the Tags either from the bookmarks.  A red icon called View Picket List came up and I took that out after my Recently Bookmarks disappeared.  Using Vista, Firefox.  Any suggestions what to do next. I do have the words Recently Bookmarks in my list but it's faded out and cannot click on it.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/recover-lost-or-missing-bookmarks

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1042283

Valued Contributor

nutmeg3,   I did get my Recently Bookmarked back in but the Recently Bookmarked to click on is at the very bottom of my bookmarks list.  Is there any way to get it back up on top where it should be.  Am thinking the recent update to Firefox caused this problem.

Thanks for info.   

Esteemed Contributor

Have you updated your flash player in Vista Windows?

I found this link with this suggestion.

https://support.mozilla.org/ln/questions/1139873

You can check for Window Security Updates and Adobe Flash Player  by using Belarc Advisor  http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Valued Contributor

nutmeg3,  thanks for the info.  I do have all my updates in my computer and flash will usually come up for me to update but I'll check later.  This all happened when I updated to Firefox 49, same as in the Firefox forum, so I'll take out 49 and put 48 back in.  I know this started Tuesday and I probably updated to 49 then.  I haven't had to go back on Firefox in a long time so will have to check how to do that.  Will do all of this later tonight when I have the time to get it done.  Thanks for the help. 

Valued Contributor

I managed to get my Recently Bookmarked back where it belongs.  I was prepared to go back to Firefox 48 and found that page.  For now the bookmarks are okay but last night I got a message that Norton had to be fixed.  I go into Norton and run scans and nothing will fix it.  I did find where it told me to uninstall Malwarebytes.  Said they are conflicting.  I've had both for some time unless something changed in Norton recently or the Firefox update.  I feel that the Malwarebytes is better so wondering if i should just take out Norton.  My husband didn't have the Malwarebytes and had a lot of problems with his computer with just Norton.  He installed the Malwarebytes and it picked up on a lot of things that he had in the computer.  Sometimes this is all so confusing. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kismet wrote:

I managed to get my Recently Bookmarked back where it belongs.  I was prepared to go back to Firefox 48 and found that page.  For now the bookmarks are okay but last night I got a message that Norton had to be fixed.  I go into Norton and run scans and nothing will fix it.  I did find where it told me to uninstall Malwarebytes.  Said they are conflicting.  I've had both for some time unless something changed in Norton recently or the Firefox update.  I feel that the Malwarebytes is better so wondering if i should just take out Norton.  My husband didn't have the Malwarebytes and had a lot of problems with his computer with just Norton.  He installed the Malwarebytes and it picked up on a lot of things that he had in the computer.  Sometimes this is all so confusing. 

You have an older version of Windows.

Here are two choices. Uninstall Norton and reinstall the software.

Uninstall Norton and find a free copy of Avast.

Norton has a removal tool. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Avast

https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download

Valued Contributor

Yes, I do have an older version of Windows but my computer is set up just the way I like it and really don't want to update it.  I suppose I will have to someday.  I've been looking at computers for awhile knowing I will have to get a new one in the future.  

I went through a lot of things today and still Norton says to take out Malwarebytes.  Won't do that.  I have taken out Norton several times in the past and put it back in.  I did take out Firefox 49 and went back to 48.  My computer was running slow and I had had enough and just put it back.  I have heard that Avast is good.  We have a family member that did security in the military and he uses it.  I'll check it out.  Things are running fast again and I'm happy with 48.  49 did mess up my bookmarks.  When I went back to 48 my bookmarks went back to what they were.  I did check in Firefox to not update automatically.  I downloaded Belarc and there are some updates it says I don't have.  I always put in the updates when I get the notice.  Don't know how I missed them.  I just recently set it to automatically update IE. 

Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

nutmeg3,  I have a question on the free Avast download.  I see that there is a registration on top of the page.  I did a search and it said if you're using the free version you don't have to register.  Then is says to register to get the updates.  Little confused about this.  Never had to register for any other free downloads.  Do I have to register or just run the scans when needed?

Firefox did an automatic update even though I had the box checked to notify me but don't install the update.  I took it back again to 48 and unchecked more boxes.  Hope that takes care of it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kismet wrote:

nutmeg3,  I have a question on the free Avast download.  I see that there is a registration on top of the page.  I did a search and it said if you're using the free version you don't have to register.  Then is says to register to get the updates.  Little confused about this.  Never had to register for any other free downloads.  Do I have to register or just run the scans when needed?

Firefox did an automatic update even though I had the box checked to notify me but don't install the update.  I took it back again to 48 and unchecked more boxes.  Hope that takes care of it.

@kismet wrote:

You need to register or sign up for an account to use Avast after 30 days.  You are granted permission to use the software free for one year.  Next year you renew your free license for another year.

How long will Microsoft support Vista Windows with security updates?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-long-will-microsoft-support-xp-vista-and-windows-7/