Respected Contributor

Re: Attn: Computer Experts! Need advice Please ..

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

This computer is not bad. You may want to check Dell's  site for their Black Friday Deals. This computer is an Inspiron 5000 series. Dell is selling 17" products in this line for a similar price. You do get a better 1600X900 display. You should look at the 1 year limited waranty at both sites. You can upgrade the warranty at Dell for a small fee.

Really?  Couldn't find 'em.  Gotta link?

Nevermind.  Dell has no such comparable product. No 17" for $549, nor $599 with 12GB RAM and 2 TB hardrive.  Nope nope nope.

You'll never find it at that price.  Not THIS year.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

This computer is not bad. You may want to check Dell's  site for their Black Friday Deals. This computer is an Inspiron 5000 series. Dell is selling 17" products in this line for a similar price. You do get a better 1600X900 display. You should look at the 1 year limited waranty at both sites. You can upgrade the warranty at Dell for a small fee.

Really?  Couldn't find 'em.  Gotta link?

If I post a link to retail site, QVC may remove my post. You should be able to find the 17" Inspiron 5000 series computer.

Dell will also give you a firm delivery date.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

Well, well, well!  Look at # E227816

I bot a DELL computer 15 yrs ago and sent it back, but I might bite the bullet & get this one.  It seems like such a good deal to me.

12GB and AMD A08 processor for $550?  OMG! 

THAT IS unbelievable, IMHO.

6% tax = ttl - $583

This sounds too good 2 b true!  Or, am I missing something?

Anyone here like their Dell?  dislike?

I'm excited!

It all depends on what's important to you/your family and how you will use your computer.

I bought a 15.6" Dell 2 months ago on sale at BB. It has 6GB of RAM and 1TB, but an i7 processor. I paid $500. Other specs are the same as the one you're talking about.

For my use (I don't do any gaming, and don't have extreme graphics use otherwise), I would not want an AMD processor. Very few people will ever come close to needing or making use of 12GB of RAM or even 1TB of storage unless they are a professional photographer or videographer. I would have been happy to have 8GB of RAM but 6 is fine - and much better than the 4GB most of QVC's and HSN's computers have.

AMD computers are always cheaper because the processor is cheaper. It's only "as good as" or "better" than an Intel processor when used for heavy duty gaming and heavy graphics use, like photo/video editing. For all other tasks, an Intel processor is better. The 12GB of RAM will help, but just me personally I'd rather have an Intel machine.

I disagree about AMD processors.  I am a gamer plus do both video and photo editing and I've never had a problem with AMD.  I've also owned Intel processors and haven't found any difference in the performance between the two.  There is more to a computer than just the processor.  The combination of processor, memory, video and sound is what makes or breaks a computer's performance.  Most people don't come close to maxing out their computer's performance. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

I bot a DELL computer 15 yrs ago and sent it back, but I might bite the bullet & get this one.  It seems like such a good deal to me.

6% tax = ttl - $583

I'm excited!

It all depends on what's important to you/your family and how you will use your computer.

I bought a 15.6" Dell 2 months ago on sale at BB. It has 6GB of RAM and 1TB, but an i7 processor. I paid $500. Other specs are the same as the one you're talking about.

For my use (I don't do any gaming, and don't have extreme graphics use otherwise), I would not want an AMD processor. Very few people will ever come close to needing or making use of 12GB of RAM or even 1TB of storage unless they are a professional photographer or videographer. I would have been happy to have 8GB of RAM but 6 is fine - and much better than the 4GB most of QVC's and HSN's computers have.

AMD computers are always cheaper because the processor is cheaper. It's only "as good as" or "better" than an Intel processor when used for heavy duty gaming and heavy graphics use, like photo/video editing. For all other tasks, an Intel processor is better. The 12GB of RAM will help, but just me personally I'd rather have an Intel machine.

I disagree about AMD processors.  I am a gamer plus do both video and photo editing and I've never had a problem with AMD.  I've also owned Intel processors and haven't found any difference in the performance between the two.  There is more to a computer than just the processor.  The combination of processor, memory, video and sound is what makes or breaks a computer's performance.  Most people don't come close to maxing out their computer's performance. 

There's nothing wrong with AMD processors. In most cases you get more bang for your buck from an AMD CPU than you do from an Intel processor. I always like to pull up a CPU monitor to see how my CPU is performing and in most cases it's just humming along at less than ten percent on each core and that's for a seven year old CPU. People put way too much emphasis on the CPU when it's often among the least critical components in terms of performance. If you're never stressing your CPU above ten to twenty percent then you've got way more CPU than you need.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

6% tax = ttl - $583

I'm excited!

You totally did not comprehend my post. I said it was FOR those who game heavily and those who photo and video edit heavily (almost any computer will handle routine occasional editing).  My point was that *if you DON'T game heavily and edit heavily* the Intel is the better processor; also that the OTT RAM in the TSV will go a good way towards equaling things out.

There is a reason why *except for heavy duty graphics users*, Intel is preferred. I did not state that AMD processors are inferior, full stop. I said that most people who do routine tasks would be better off with Intel. I still feel that way.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

You're entitiled to feel anyway you want.  It doesn't make you right and those who disagree wrong.  A computer's performance is dependent on many factors not just the processor. 

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

6% tax = ttl - $583

I'm excited!

There's nothing wrong with AMD processors. In most cases you get more bang for your buck from an AMD CPU than you do from an Intel processor. I always like to pull up a CPU monitor to see how my CPU is performing and in most cases it's just humming along at less than ten percent on each core and that's for a seven year old CPU. People put way too much emphasis on the CPU when it's often among the least critical components in terms of performance. If you're never stressing your CPU above ten to twenty percent then you've got way more CPU than you need.

I happen to agree with you and glb.

My CPU was running like yours, basically, and it lasted over seven and a half years. It was an HP with an AMD processor. 

I don't think that even most people will notice the difference between the two types of processors for average computing needs, although I tend to personally think that for some reason, people think that for some particular reason, AMD processors are lesser quality than Intel. I have used both, and I have noticed no difference between the two, for me. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

You're entitiled to feel anyway you want.  It doesn't make you right and those who disagree wrong.  A computer's performance is dependent on many factors not just the processor. 

There is no right or wrong as far as preference - it's all opinion. I'm well aware of that. I was simply pointing out that my first post did not appear to have been comprehended, because while the response was stated as me trashing AMD processors altogether, I actually agreed with the poster that they are best for gaming and editing, and that *I* didn't want one, as I neither game nor heavy duty edit.

A couple of you have chosen to respond as if I totally trashed AMD processors, which I did not do. I said they had their niche, which I don't happen to need. End of story.  But feel free to misread/misinterpret again.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

"But feel free to misread/misinterpret again."

I didn't misinterpret anything. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH got a good laugh  at all the "experts" here - as a side note his first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 which came with 4 K ( YES K) of RAM ( whicch he upgraded to 64K eventually) . It saved programs on a cassette recorder tape until he built an expansion interface and added a 10 MEG HD ( YES MEG) that was the size of a shoe box. In any case his take on the CPU is that INTEL AND AMD are both good but the INTEL is way overpriced and mainly sells on hype ( like Apple products). He built one computer usin an INTEL CPU/motherboard  and then switched to  AMD and never looked back. The BIGGEST  thing to look for is RAM - no matter what CPU you have the more memory you have the faster it will run. If your computer runs out of RAM it will start using HD as memory and it will SLOW your computer. The next thing to consider is Hard Drive space - again the more the better as it is nearly impossible to add more ( like Apple products) unless you have  a 17" HP which many allow adding a 2nd hard drive internally (undocumented but true). Finally there is the graphics - in laptops they are CPU dependent  and AMD rules as far as grahics go but the details are too much to go into it hear. So RinaRina - if you purchased this computer give it a try - it is overall one of the (if not the) best  deals out there - especially considering the high end processor,and large memory and hard drive. Is it perfect - nope but at this price point  you will not find better - my DH had me get him one and don't forget - you have untill January 31/2016 to return it