Honored Contributor

Re: Apple New Products Spring 2017

@jaxs mom wrote:

I don't need anything right now. I'm waiting for iphone 8

@jaxs mom

Apple has not released any info on the iPhone 8.  Par for them.  They never announced their products until the day of their webcasts instroducing their new products.

"Rumor" has it that the iPhone 8 will come in 2 versions.  The 2nd one will be over $1k. faint.gif

For me to pay that much for a phone,

Spoiler
the thing will have to put a smile on my face every night & a few afternoons too!

whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac, yes I know about the App Store, Thanks.  I am looking for apps for media streaming boxes.  I have Apple TV 3.  Just ordered an android box and looking forward to Apple TV 5 which will be able to stream 4K and should have more content.  I am on the road to cutting the home phone and cable.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I am tending to more Apple products but sometimes their cost and their paternalistic attitude on software drives me up the wall.  I can easily see why you made the decision to go Android.

As I mentioned above, I just ordered an Android media streaming device.  It's capability is better than the most current Apple TV.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac, I have been waiting to get a new computer for longer than I care to admit. I'm not tech savvy (you my recall some of my previous threads that you have been kind enough to offer advice) so I'm not sure what I want. I was considering the new MacBook Pro, but now I'm not so sure. I have read some reviews and people have had negative things to say about it. I really need to make a decision already!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of the link to a retail site.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mz iMac, I have been waiting to get a new computer for longer than I care to admit. I'm not tech savvy (you my recall some of my previous threads that you have been kind enough to offer advice) so I'm not sure what I want. I was considering the new MacBook Pro, but now I'm not so sure. I have read some reviews and people have had negative things to say about it. I really need to make a decision already!

@Jordan  Have you considered a tablet?   Unless you need a computer for business applications,  I'd certainly consider it.   I'll never go back; my tablet makes life so much simpler and is a pleasure to use.   I hold it in my hand with a velcro strap,  and kick back in a recliner and surf. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Does your tablet have a keyboard & can you use a mouse?

My problem w/tablets is that because it's touch screen, the screen gets cootie infested from all the fingerprints/dirt on the screen.  I know the Q has some sort of electric cleaning thingie for cell phones.  Unknown if it can be used for tablets.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Kachina624

My problem w/tablets is that because it's touch screen, the screen gets cootie infested from all the fingerprints/dirt on the screen.  I know the Q has some sort of electric cleaning thingie for cell phones.  Unknown if it can be used for tablets.

They are your "cooties".  We don't live in a sterile world.  Everything in your home has "cooties" all over it.  If you knew how bacteria is on your skin every minute of every day, you'd probably faint. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Kachina624

@Mz iMac  No,  it doesn't and I wouldn't use one if I had it.   The way I hold my pad,  the use of a keyboard would be inappropriate.   I do use a rubber-tipped stylus.   A quick wipe with a microfiber cloth cleans the screen. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have a suspicion that the new Nintendo Switch may incorporate Apple's iOS making it a possible iPad Mini replacement for some users. Nintendo's been very, very quiet about the other (non-gaming) capabilities of their new console/handheld hybrid that's coming out on March third of this year.

Nintendo has partnered with Apple in releasing Super Mario Run on the iOS platform way back on December 15th, but it still isn't available on Android. Android reportedly owns 81.7% of the global smartphone market to Apple's 17.9% and Apple is notorious for making it challenging to launch apps there, so why is Nintendo favoring Apple? You release a popular app on the lesser used, harder to penetrate market instead of the easier to reach, more widely popular market? Something doesn't add up there.

I haven't heard anything solid and very few rumors even, but my gut says those two companies may have decided to align. Both make rock solid hardware that's typically not cutting edge, not state-of-the-art, but very reliable if somewhat overpriced. Nintendo's new Switch (which is a console/handheld hybrid) should technically be able to run Apple's iOS and including that iOS would give Nintendo a vast array of apps for Switch purchasers to use.

Nintendo favoring Apple with early (or exclusive) release of their gaming apps and software on the iOS would help drive sales of Apple products. Would Apple approve of an outside company using their iOS? They never have until now. Would Apple tolerate a $300 alternative to their iPads? They sell the iPad Mini 2 for around $270 and it has a longer battery life than the Switch, so maybe they don't really view the Switch as a product that would cannibalize iPad Mini 2 sales?

Anyway, if you're considering an iPad Mini and you can wait a few more weeks, you might just want to wait and see if Nintendo's new Switch includes the Apple  iOS. My gut says those two companies are working together these days and we may just see the iOS on the Switch which could give buyers a second option. It's hard to understand why Nintendo would release a popular gaming app on a less popular platform months before releasing it on the more popular platform unless there was some sort of an alliance between the two companies.

All Nintendo has disclosed about the Switch is it's gaming capabilities, and nothing about its ability to use apps, browse the web, or anything else. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Nintendo and Apple are working together. If I'm right, that Nintendo Switch could just be a gamechanger letting buyers use their Apple iOS apps on their home HDTV's. We'll likely find out in two weeks when the Switch formally goes on sale.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!