Frequent Contributor

Anyone know anything about the Intel NUC

I have an old Dell with XP and was told it can't be upgraded to windows 7, I don't think I want 8.1.

I want a desktop and they showed me this NUC. I am not a computer geek and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this new new NUC.

TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone know anything about the Intel NUC

This computer by Intel has been around for a while. It is meant for a business customer, not a home consumer. You should find yourself a nice laptop.

Respected Contributor

If you like desktop computers, get a new desktop. If you do get a notebook computer, make sure the vents are on the sides not the bottom. Heat build up causes early hardware failure in notebook computers.

There is a small utility called "classic shell" that will make your computer look like older versions of Windows.

Classic shell

Super Contributor

Windows 7 is still being sold on manufacturer's website. It is very similar to XP.

If you go on the Dell site I purchased a 15R with Windows 7 a few months ago. They also have PCs available in their outlet store. Generally these are business PCs that are off lease. You can get some good deals.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the replies everyone. We were out looking on Friday and Staples had a Dell desktop with windows 7. Tomorrow we are looking at Best Buy.

I need to buy somewhere where they will transfer my stuff from my old computer.

I do have 2 questions for you smart people.

1. Can I continue to use Outlook Express for my e-mail?

2. I was told programs cannot be transferred. Is there anyway to put some games I loaded from a disc? I do not have the disc.

TIA

Betty

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/6/2014 bettyboop33 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. We were out looking on Friday and Staples had a Dell desktop with windows 7. Tomorrow we are looking at Best Buy.

I need to buy somewhere where they will transfer my stuff from my old computer.

I do have 2 questions for you smart people.

1. Can I continue to use Outlook Express for my e-mail?

2. I was told programs cannot be transferred. Is there anyway to put some games I loaded from a disc? I do not have the disc.

TIA

Betty

You can no longer use Outlook Express. You can use a free program instead. Mozilla Thunderbird http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Programs have to be installed, and data can be transferred. I like a program called Belarc Advisor. It will tell you about the programs you have in your current computer. You maybe able to find the same programs to run on your Window 7 or 8 machine.

This is another link about changing computers. You can really do the job yourself. http://community.qvc.com/forums/electronics-talk/topic/442453/postid/9095306/re-4814-xp-panic-can-s...