Respected Contributor

Anyone have a soundbar on their TV?

They offer them a lot at HSN.  If you have one, does it make a big difference?  Does it moderate the volume when the commercials are on?  I think it would be worth it for that alone, but I'm not sure if they actually do that.  I hate when the commercials are so much louder than the show I'm watching. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone have a soundbar on their TV?

We have a Bose sound bar.  It makes a huge difference as the speakers in the tv's today are not good at all.   Sound is much clearer, especially when watching dvd's.  As far as the commercials, no I haven't noticed any changes with the loudness.  Actually I wish they would do something about that, it is so annoying!

Honored Contributor

Yes, but it came with our Sony TVs.  It's a long bar the length of the TV attached at the bottom.  Exceptional sound.  No distortion.  Like the person talking is in the same room.  It's more natural, unlike in movie theaters.  Probably similar to other soundbars you can buy separately.  

Respected Contributor

We purchased a sound bar and a woofer (came as a set but the woofer is separate from the bar and really adds a lot to the depth of the sound).  It makes a HUGE difference in the sound quality.  Unfortunately it does not regulate that awful loudness for commercials (which I thought was supposed to stop,  and did for a very short time about a year or so ago).  

Esteemed Contributor

I use Bose as well.  Love it.  Rich sound, few wires.  LM

Honored Contributor

I wish we did, but our TV is mounted on the wall and I don't want to see any wires or have to put another hole in the wall.  Plus, even if I did put another hole in the wall, I would have to access the back of the TV meaning we would have to take it off the wall which is at least a 2 person job.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

I wish we did, but our TV is mounted on the wall and I don't want to see any wires or have to put another hole in the wall.  Plus, even if I did put another hole in the wall, I would have to access the back of the TV me8aning we would have to take it off the wall which is at least a 2 person job.  

@Icegoddess 

There are many wireless speakers, and sound bars one can use to enhance the TV audio. Just a matter of how important the audio is to the viewer. For me, I want the best audio I can get for a reasonable price and all my video and audio systems are Surround Sound setups. 

I don't want my TV sets above anything, especially mounted on any wall. Most TV sets are built to have the best available picture reproductions when at the viewers eye level. The same is true of great audio reproduction, the sound for home systems is much better at the listeners ear level to experience the best audio sounds.

A matter of what each individual wants from their video and audio reproductions in their home.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut, I have a Samsung and I thought they had a wireless system, but last time I looked in Costco they only had a wired one, so I was thinking maybe it was just the woofer that was wireless.  I'll have to check again.  I love my TV on the wall.  Doesn't bother me at all that I have to look up a little.  It's not like it's way up just below the ceiling.  I don't even have to ****** my head up to see it.  Also keeps the TV out of kitty range.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Sonos and I love it. Yes it makes a difference. 

Super Contributor

Yes, indeed I have a soundbar on my Sony big screen tv.  And yes, it makes a big difference.  I have the Vizio soundbar.  When I lost the remote the other day, I was beside myself because switching back to the tv's sound was just awful!  I must have a soundbar!