Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anti-virus shopping

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  Free security? We're with Directv, and they offer nothing.  

@IamMrsG - it comes with my Comcast - but so do their ridiculously high rates too Smiley Wink

Most Anti-virus full service programs cost $79-89 for a one year license.

What speed is your internet?

In my neighborhood Comcast is my only real choice for internet. If I subscribed to Directv, and used Verizon DSL. I would have a speed of less than 1Mbps for upload and download. I get 150/10 with Comcast, and free Norton 360.

Valued Contributor

Check out Avast Free Virus Protection.  This is what our computer guy put on my computer the last time I got a virus.  I have several friends that use the same protection.  So far so good.  He specified not to purchase the other services, just the free version.

Honored Contributor

I think McAfee Total Protection is very good.  At Target, it's $50 for one PC and $60 for unlimited devices.  You can probably find it on sale someplace.  I got in on sale at Target last year for about $20.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anti-virus shopping

[ Edited ]

@Caffeina wrote:

Use Microsoft Windows Defender. It's free and already in your computer.

Microsoft Windows Defender is for malware. We use Malwarbytes for that.

The OP is looking for Anti-Virus program. I would use Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast or AVG Anti-Virus all are free. You can also download a free version of Malwarebytes to run yourself to rid of any malware.  CCleaner is pretty good for cleaning up temporary files & other garbage you don't need that can make your computer run slower.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

The OP is looking for Anti-Virus program. I would use Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast or AVG Anti-Virus all are free. You can also download a free version of Malwarebytes to run yourself to rid of any malware.  CCleaner is pretty good for cleaning up temporary files & other garbage you don't need that can make your computer run slower.

Microsoft Security Essentials  does not run in Window 8.1. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Trusted Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

Microsoft Security Essentials  does not run in Window 8.1. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

"Windows Defender is malware protection that is included with and built into Windows 8. This software helps identify and remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software."

www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/pc-security/windows-defender.aspx

Honored Contributor

Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Check out Avast Free Virus Protection.  This is what our computer guy put on my computer the last time I got a virus.  I have several friends that use the same protection.  So far so good.  He specified not to purchase the other services, just the free version.

This is what I've been using for a while and it's perfectly good.   Always remember to only have ONE anti-virus program.  Then, a good anti-malware program is good to have to compliment that. I use Malwarebytes - the paid version.  They also have a free version.  

The very worst is McAfee.   Second to that, since it became a big bloaty program several years ago, is Norton.

There ARE plenty of good pay programs.  But there are also really good free ones, such as Avast.

I don't like the 'security suite' ones.  They are more hassle than they are worth.  My husband, who knows very little about computers, got talked into one 'security suite' program that is such a PITA that I just hate having to work on his computer.  It's especially bad if you have an older and/or slower computer.  They just get in the way, wayyyyy too much.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

I second AVG, Malwarebytes and CC. All free, all recommended by IT people.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

I had CCleaner and thought it was good, didn't have any problems.  I have Kaspersky AntiVirus, and every time I ran a scan Kaspersky would delete CCleaner from my computer. 

I read somewhere that CCleaner "follows" me like Google does as I'm "surfing" the internet. 

I don't know if any of it is true though.  

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

I had CCleaner and thought it was good, didn't have any problems.  I have Kaspersky AntiVirus, and every time I ran a scan Kaspersky would delete CCleaner from my computer. 

I read somewhere that CCleaner "follows" me like Google does as I'm "surfing" the internet. 

I don't know if any of it is true though.  

I purchased a year of Kaspersky. Once the year was up, I got pop-up windows asking (no, demanding) that I renew *every time I booted up the computer.* It would not stop. It was holding my laptop hostage. I totally deleted it.

In my experience CC Cleaner depends on the user to open it and tell it what to do. It never had any functions that were automatic. But I had the free version.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all