Respected Contributor

Anti-virus shopping UPDATED FEB 27

[ Edited ]

My subscription to Norton 360 expires in 19 days.  I've used it for years and years, but only because it's what I am used to.  Ya know??  I cannot say I particularly like it or find it user friendly.  My computer geek brother-in-law recommended it as "the best," so that's what I bought.  

As I said, it expires in 19 days, so I have to do something about it PDQ. I'm intrigued by commercials I've seen for PCMatic, and there are good reviews on Amazon.  I thought I would come here to ask if anyone has used PCMatic, and, if so, what they thought about their experience with it.

I am not limiting this conversation to just this one anti-virus software.  If anyone has found something they would whole-heartedly recommend, I'd appreciate hearing about it.  BTW, if it matters, my OS is Windows 8.1.  

Thanks, All, for any light you can shine in my darkness! 

UPDATE:  Thank you, All, for your responses.  I must confess, however, I've only read the first page and also apologize for not responding to your suggestions.  You see, I've been quite literally knocked off my feet with a hellacious bout of bronchitis all this time.  

To update my original question, I waited until the last day of my Norton subscription (today) and just renewed it.  That wasn't my first choice, but you do what you have to, don't you?  

Again, thank you, All, for voicing your opinions and ideas.  I will read them, and hold them for consideration next year when renewal rolls around again.  --Mrs. G.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Does your cable company not offer?  I get mine (Norton) free through my cable company. 

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  Free security? We're with Directv, and they offer nothing.  

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@IamMrsG - it comes with my Comcast - but so do their ridiculously high rates too Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@IamMrsG - it comes with my Comcast - but so do their ridiculously high rates too Smiley Wink

I hear that, and ours just went up again. 

Trusted Contributor

Use Microsoft Windows Defender. It's free and already in your computer.

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG, I have used McAfee. Norton & now we use Trend Micro.  I have a love-hate relationship with Trend Micro...I think it is because they don't really *let* us do much with our settings, or to check on things more in-depth.  But most of the time, we don't want to do that anyway.  

We got Trend Micro here on QVC, but they don't offer it anymore.  I wonder why, anyone else know?

We've had Norton before, but my dh refuses to use it anymore, because they make it difficult to uninstall (or used to, years ago when we used it), creating havoc with the computer with nag screens that won't go away.  He got really ticked off about that, because when something is uninstalled it should go away completely, but Norton didn't in several different computers we used at the time.  I don't know if that is still an issue, but he got so fed up with Norton that he refuses to ever use it again.

The one we probably liked the best was McAfee.  But again, that was a few years ago.  

If we were going to get something new, I would probably look up PCMagazine's reviews of 2016 antivirus software, and don't forget you want to look into anti-malware, too.  Not all antivirus programs will cover malware in addition to the rest of the crud hackers & phishers throw at our computers. 

What I like about Trend Micro:  it only 'speaks' when there is a problem.  It also protects your browser, warning you of unsavory risky sites that aren't already green-lighted for safety, so you know to proceed at your own risk.  If a webpage has a bad script that tries to pop a trojan on your computer, it will stop the process & warn you--I really appreciate that feature, but other antivirus offer a simliar feature, too.  It is nice to have extra protection against keyloggers etc.

I'm a little spooked that Trend Micro is MIA on QVC now-a-days.  Wondering if I missed something important!

Good luck in your research, I need to check back & see what you decided upon, in case we need to move on from Trend Micro, ourselves.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Esteemed Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

Use Microsoft Windows Defender. It's free and already in your computer.

Windows Defender does not get good marks from tech experts.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1926596,00.asp

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

My DH uses Windows 8.1 and I use Windows 7...

For years and years we have used Norton 360 by Symantec.  

The school district I retired from also uses Symantec throught the entire district.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG  I get my TV-phone-internet through AT&T U-Verse.  The McAfee protection comes free with my internet (you have to install it through your account on their website, of course).  They charge me $45/mo for the internet, so they darned well ought to include the virus protection!

Laura loves cats!