Honored Contributor

Hi, I'm the OP and my mother got another call today. She couldn't get to the phone so a recorded message was left. It was telling her she had 4 allegations on her name and if she didn't call them to clear it up the police would come to arrest her within 24 hours! A phone number was left to call back. I did a reversal lookup with the phone number and got a name. I called the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). to file a complaint. She said the number could be spoofed and the name  I got may not be the one who called. She said a lot of these calls come from other countries and unfortunately they can't do anything about it. I also told her about the police donation and IRS calls. She said yes , these are scams. She said debt collectors would notify you by mail and the police would NEVER come to arrest you. I got a reference number and was told they would be looking into it , but I really don't think anything will come of it.

Respected Contributor

I hope you got through to your Mom.  She sounds like a prime target for a scammer to take her money. 

Honored Contributor

I saw a commercial today with an elderly lady sitting at a table, like a restaurant. Opposite her was a seedy guy saying her grandson (I think) is in trouble and sent him to get money from her. The voiceover said you wouldn't fall for this in person don't over the phone, it's a scam. Then they give you a website Scam Awareness to check out. 

Honored Contributor

Kachina624 wrote:

ciao_bella wrote:

Before hanging up tell them to take your number off their call list; then HANG UP!  (By law, they must remove your phone number off their call list, if you tell them to do so)

And what happens if they don't comply with your request?  Nothing.

Exactly (bolded by me), and they won't comply.  I tried doing that until I was blue in the face - for many years.  It never worked one iota.

I was really hopeful that that would be the solution.  I was naive.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

Before hanging up tell them to take your number off their call list; then HANG UP!  (By law, they must remove your phone number off their call list, if you tell them to do so)

And what happens if they don't comply with your request?  Nothing.

Exactly (bolded by me), and they won't comply.  I tried doing that until I was blue in the face - for many years.  It never worked one iota.

I was really hopeful that that would be the solution.  I was naive.  Smiley Sad

These scammers buy phone numbers from cable companies or phone companies. 

Honored Contributor

I'm the OP with the elderly mom. My mother for days has been getting calls from the same number. She has caller ID and doesn't answer if she doesn't know who it is. Now this number never leaves a message, today they left a recorded message. It says they are calling about her account. I looked up the company on the Internet and they are a third party collection agency supposedly. I called the FTC again to file a complaint. I really don't think it does any good as I have filed a complaint before and nothing has come of it. I handle all my mother's accounts and pay her bills as soon as they come in. It is deplorable how some people prey on the elderly and others with these calls. Your home is suppose to be a safe haven and you shouldn't have to put up with all these annoying phone calls!

Esteemed Contributor

In our area the Police requests are a scam.  And the Do Not Call list does not apply to charities and political parties.  (Geez I wonder who made these rules)  In any case if I ever get to talk to someone trying to get me to donate I tell them to send it to me by mail (I don't give them my address)  They pretend to know who I am and where I live so I can ask them to send it along without ever sharing any  more information.

What is getting me these days is my health insurance who calls me reminding me to take medical tests, go to the doctor, tries to get me on the phone and then before I open my mouth to tell them leave me alone they ask for me to identify myself by birthdate. This is legit but in very poor taste by the company. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

In our area the Police requests are a scam.  And the Do Not Call list does not apply to charities and political parties.  (Geez I wonder who made these rules)  In any case if I ever get to talk to someone trying to get me to donate I tell them to send it to me by mail (I don't give them my address)  They pretend to know who I am and where I live so I can ask them to send it along without ever sharing any  more information.

What is getting me these days is my health insurance who calls me reminding me to take medical tests, go to the doctor, tries to get me on the phone and then before I open my mouth to tell them leave me alone they ask for me to identify myself by birthdate. This is legit but in very poor taste by the company. 

My mother got a call the other day from her insurance company wanting to make an appointment to go over her meds. My mother is elderly and I keep track of her meds and set up her pills for the week. I asked the guy on the phone if she is required to do this or if she will be penalized if she didn't? Of course he said no so I said no thanks. She has been on her meds for a long time and knows what they are and how to take them. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Another, Is This A Scam

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@thisbe wrote:

Many of these calls are scams and/or annoying robo calls.  Go to nomorobo.com and sign up your mother's phone number to end such calls.

Does this really help? She is on the no call registry but still gets calls from charities and solicitors.

Does not work with wireless or landline phone calls.

It does work if someone has a VOIP system for their phone service, and they can check on the company's website and see if it will work with their particular phone service provider.

It didn't work for us when we had our old landline phone service, but when we switched over to VOIP service, we were then able to use it. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

The Police Benevolent Association fund raisers are the worst - very aggressive.  They don't know the meaning of "no."  I feel sorry for seniors who get their calls.