Honored Contributor

My mother is elderly and feels the need to answer every phone call even though she has caller ID ( some people who call her the number doesn't come up with a name). Anyway she gets calls asking her to donate to the police. My mother doesn't know how to get rid of a call, I tell her to just hang up. She doesn't want to be rude! They say they will send her material in the mail which never comes. Do you think that these calls soliciting money for the police are on the up and up?

Respected Contributor

We used to get them from the State Police Benevolent Assoc.  I finally called them and they said they never, ever solicit money over the phone.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

Re: Another, Is This A Scam

[ Edited ]

Yes and no. The calls are usually legit, but they are made by agencies paid to collect money and almost none of the money goes to the police.

If I get a call like that, I always ask what percentage of the donation goes to the police. They are required by law to tell you IF you ask and won't tell you if you do not ask. I think the last time I asked it was under 30%. For some it can be closer to 10% of the donation making it to the actual group in need while the majority goes to overhead. I always decline those police society charities.

You might want to make your mother a list of good organizations and tell her to only say yes to the ones on the good list. If she gets a call from anyone else, she can write the name down and NOT give them any money until someone checks them out. Charity Navigator is the best resource to find out which charities are legit and use their donations wisely.

Here's a list of some of the WORST charities, which may also help you out: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/20/1216963/-America-s-50-Worst-Charities

Honored Contributor

This elderly lady says it's not rude to hang up on anyone calling to solicit money - unless I asked them to call.  And I haven't changed my opinion on that for the 50+ years since I left off living in my parents' home!

I'd hang up in mid-sentence even with out so much as a goodbye.

Respected Contributor

Before hanging up tell them to take your number off their call list; then HANG UP!  (By law, they must remove your phone number off their call list, if you tell them to do so)

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all for the replies!

Honored Contributor

Your dear mom probably shouldn't give these telemarketers her home address.  If she wants to donate to her local police department for various youth and other projects, I'd visit them, and ask if they accept donations, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Your dear mom probably shouldn't give these telemarketers her home address.  If she wants to donate to her local police department for various youth and other projects, I'd visit them, and ask if they accept donations, etc.

No she didn't give them her address. She is with it enough to know that's not a good idea!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Another, Is This A Scam

[ Edited ]

ChynnaBlue - Thanks for this list!

Honored Contributor
I believe these marketing outfits make money only if you give directly to them with your credit card. They don't give a rip if the so called charity gets a dime. They don't want to mail you anything or take your email. I just tell them I don't give my credit card to ANYONE on the phone and to email me. They never even bother asking my email, it just shuts them up.