Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon's Kindle Fire 7", 8GB for $49.99. What do you think?

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@luv2drive wrote:

@nomless I don't know a lot about the techie side of things, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question.

Where did you see the resolution at 171 ppi? The only thing I could find was at amazon, and the one that I "think" is the same shows 216 ppi. I didn't see anything about this on the HSN item description

Having asked that, the only thing I think I understand is that we are talking about the clarity on the print. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help you or anyone can give me. Smiley Happy

The stated resolution for the $49 Kindle Fire is 171 ppi, but there are very few complaints about the resolution in the reviews I've seen and for $49 you can't find anything much better. It wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.

@gardenman  Here is a Netcast review of this tablet from Twit.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awfMWF66oIA

Adding Google Play Store to this tablet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK7AH9sM2cc

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luv2drive, about the ppi on the Kindle Fire: I went to the Kindle Fire page on Amazon.  Scroll down the page until you get to the chart that shows the comparison of the Kindle models.  That's where I saw the ppi listed for several modes. And yes, ppi is related to clarity.  It takes into account both the number of pixels on the screen and screen size.  Through experience, I learned that I prefer ppi 240 and higher for reading.  For other things, lower resolution is fine.

And, please note I'm not dissing 171 ppi. The resolution a user finds acceptable varies from user to user and how the tablet wiil be used. I like my low resolution tablet for everything except reading.  Others might find it OK for reading, but I  was disappointed when I realized how much I dislike the low resolution for reading.

And yes, $49 for a tablet is a great price!

HTH.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless Thank you for your response. Good information. I would definitely want to read on it, but I also wanted it for all the other functions as well, camera, videos, etc.

I called HSN rep to ask about the ppi on the one they will offer, she didn't know what I was talking about, (kept saying pti), couldn't find any info on their system, and after offering, could not locate a # to contact vendor. She did, however, mention the extended return policy.

Bottom line, I still don't know what I will do. Again, thanks for your detailed reply. Much appreciated  Smiley Happy

eta - just visited Amazon and saw the chart. Very helpful! Thanks!

Original registration date 7/3!/07 post count was 223 until 6/15/15
Respected Contributor

@luv2drive, BTW, ppi means pixels per inch. As I said earlier, it takes into account both pixels on the screen and screen size. For example, 1280 x 600 will have a higher ppi on a 7" device than on a 10" device.  There are the same number of pixels on both screens, but there are more pixels per inch on the smaller screen.  The pixels are closer together om the smaller screen, hence better resolution.  I hope that makes sense. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless Thanks so much.  Yes, it does make sense. You actually explained it very well, and made it sound simple. 

As I said, I'm not that up on the techie side of things, but I do understand the info you wrote. Heart

eta - I really appreciate you taking your time to explain to me.

Original registration date 7/3!/07 post count was 223 until 6/15/15
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know how long the Fire is on sale.  If it will be on sale a few days and if you have a Best Buy near you, you might want to go look at the tablets Best Buy has so you can see the differences in resolution.  Look at a page of text (Q forum posts, for example) on screens of different ppi.  That might help you figure out if the Kindle Fire would be suitable for your use. 

Esteemed Contributor

What is the deal?  $50 is THE price for the new 7" fire.  BTW I own this and also bought the 32 th microchip.  This is very good value for the money.  You can use it for anything you would use an android tablet (and you get Amazon's Cloud).

Valued Contributor

@patbz wrote:

What is the deal?  $50 is THE price for the new 7" fire.  BTW I own this and also bought the 32 th microchip.  This is very good value for the money.  You can use it for anything you would use an android tablet (and you get Amazon's Cloud).

The deal is that it comes with the case. You have to buy that separately on Amazon. That's the only difference I can see but it still makes it a better deal.

Trusted Contributor

Today's special on the "other channel" looks like a great deal. 2 kindle fires with cases. Also has vouchers for Encyclopedia Britannica (1 year service) & All Recipes Cooking School (2 month service).  $99.95 for all. I think I spent almost $30 just on a case for my kindle fire. Wish I could think of 2 people on my shopping list that would like this. 

Esteemed Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@luv2drive, about the ppi on the Kindle Fire: I went to the Kindle Fire page on Amazon.  Scroll down the page until you get to the chart that shows the comparison of the Kindle models.  That's where I saw the ppi listed for several modes. And yes, ppi is related to clarity.  It takes into account both the number of pixels on the screen and screen size.  Through experience, I learned that I prefer ppi 240 and higher for reading.  For other things, lower resolution is fine.

And, please note I'm not dissing 171 ppi. The resolution a user finds acceptable varies from user to user and how the tablet wiil be used. I like my low resolution tablet for everything except reading.  Others might find it OK for reading, but I  was disappointed when I realized how much I dislike the low resolution for reading.

And yes, $49 for a tablet is a great price!

HTH.

I would not buy a tablet with a low screen resolution of 171ppi, This device comes with just a 90 day limited warranty. If you want a better one you have to buy it.