Esteemed Contributor

Any comments?

$99.00 Looks interesting:

Eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime.
Exclusive digital benefits with Amazon Prime
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon Digital Services.

Want it Friday, April 4? Order within 2 hrs 14 mins and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Amazon Fire TV is a tiny box you connect to your HDTV. It's the easiest way to enjoy Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, low-cost movie rentals, and much more

• /> <strong>Your partner in Prime</strong>—The best way to enjoy unlimited access to over 40,000 Prime Instant Videos on your HDTV, including Amazon exclusives like <em>Downton Abbey</em> and <em>Justified</em></span></li> <li><span><strong>Massive selection</strong>—Over 200,000 TV episodes and movies, millions of songs, and over a hundred games</span></li> <li><span><strong>Voice search that actually works</strong>—Simply say the name of what you want to watch and start enjoying in seconds. <a id=Show me
  • Tiny box, huge specs—Fast quad-core processor, 2 GB of memory, dedicated GPU, plus 1080p HD video and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound
  • Easy to set up and use—Pre-registered to your Amazon account so you can enjoy favorite titles and personalized recommendations
  • Instant streaming—Exclusive new feature ASAP predicts what movies and TV episodes you’ll want to watch and buffers them for playback before you hit play
  • Perfect for parents—Amazon FreeTime lets you easily limit screen time and create personalized profiles just for kids (coming soon)
  • Great for gaming, too—Play blockbuster titles like Minecraft-Pocket Edition, The Walking Dead, and Monsters University, plus free games and Amazon exclusives. Paid games start from just 99 cents

Compare to Apple TV, Chromecast, and Roku Show me

Learn more

Trusted Contributor

I'm sticking with my Roku which I paid $30 for and still works great after 2 years.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor
I think my Roku does all that. I don't know about games because we don't play them anyway.
Frequent Contributor

Interesting review here: Amazon Fire TV Preview

Honored Contributor

I got an email about it bright & early this morning & never bothered to open it. I thought it was about the Kindle Fire.

I just caught a bit about it on the news & it sounds interesting. I do not currently have cable or any TV service. I get pretty poor and inconsistent reception and would like more options.

I wonder how much you'd end up paying for access to the shows...

Trusted Contributor
CNET review was good. States that this is the ""strongest"" of all the streamers. Wonder if that means it does not stop in the movie to buffer?
Respected Contributor
On 4/2/2014 LuvMM1 said: CNET review was good. States that this is the ""strongest"" of all the streamers. Wonder if that means it does not stop in the movie to buffer?

Buffering is caused by your internet service not the device. The only exception is if a site is overloaded.

Super Contributor

You can supposedly talk to the Amazon Fire remote control. I will keep my Roku's. There are more channels available vs. the Fire.

Super Contributor
On 4/2/2014 LuvMM1 said: CNET review was good. States that this is the ""strongest"" of all the streamers. Wonder if that means it does not stop in the movie to buffer?

That is due to your internet speed 99% of the time.

Super Contributor
I think amazon missed to boat on this one. This device is no different than others already out there, roku and Apple TV for example. If they discontinue amazon prime streaming on those devices, because they want people to buy their device for streaming, then they may risk people cancel prime membership. There is nothing on amazon prime streaming that I can't stream from netflix or hulu using my Apple TV. I hope I won't need their device to access amazon prime streaming as it's a nice benefit for amazon prime customers, but if they locked me out because I didn't have the device, I wouldn't miss it.