Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I wanted to know how to activate it so I went to Amazon.  All I could find was that I need a WiFi (which I have) and a smart phone which I don't have. 

Why can't it get activated from the computer?

You need a device that uses an app from Amazon Fire tablets, or an Android tablet or Phone or an iPhone, iPad,or iPod Touch.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@mima

Do you need an Amazon account?  I don't have one nor do I have any mobile devices.  Not even a cell phone.

I do own Mac computers.

You need an Amazon account, Amazon Prime, and a tablet or a smart phone. You can use an i device or Android.

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@mima

Do you need an Amazon account?  I don't have one nor do I have any mobile devices.  Not even a cell phone.

I do own Mac computers.

You need an Amazon account, Amazon Prime, and a tablet or a smart phone. You can use an i device or Android.

With David,vendor said Prime is not required.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@mima

I do own Mac computers.

@Nuttmeg

someone else just said you DONT need amazon prime according to the rep.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Re: Amazon Echo TSV 5/22

[ Edited ]

I have an Amazon Echo (Alexa) and a Dot...the Dot is in the bedroom...The Echo (Alexa) in the livingroom...Alexa was purchased at Christmas time for 99 dollars .....I was fortunate enough to have Amazon draw me for the early release units...

You can actually name the Dot "Echo" it doesn't have to answer to "Alexa"...I have them set at two different names just incase Alexa hears me from the bedroom...that way only one answers..

The shopping list part is one of the favorites..if you are in the pantry or fridge and see something you need..just have it added to your grocery list on either devise and it will be added..like Mima said you view it through the app...both devises sync so the list has all the items on it..

I can have Alexa play some prime music in one room and have Echo play a radio station in another...of course I'm not listening to both at once but DH can listen to one as I listen to the other...

The Dot is synced to a bluetooth speaker ....as its speaker is ok but not that great for music listening...

It gets a little confusing explaining it.. I'd order it from Amazon...Their CS is amazing if anything goes wrong...If you want the skin with the unit the price from Q is a little better...

I wanted to add you have to be a Prime member to order the Dot from Amazon...DW

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Echo TSV 5/22

[ Edited ]

"With David,vendor said Prime is not required."

"someone else just said you DONT need amazon prime according to the rep."

@sunshine45 & @Nuttmeg

I think the confusion is this....

An Amazon account & Amazon Prime are 2 separate accounts.

Amazon Prime has special privliges for their customers.  Reason why you pay more for Amazon PRime.

A regular Amazon acct is just that.....an account w/o the extra priviliges.

The vendor & the hosts are not explaining this properly. 

In order to use Amazon Echo properly you need to BE A MEMBER OF AMAZON no matter which acct you have w/them.

If I am not correct, I would like to hear from Amazon Echo users who DOES NOT an Amazon or Prime account. 

Or users who only uses this thing w/their computers, have no cell phones or any other mobile devices.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I don't understand the grocery list.  If I say, " Alexa, add eggs, cheese and milk to my grocery list."  HOW is the list printed out?  Or is it sent to my cell phone?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

It reminds me of HAL from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Super Contributor

Wow - I am so glad I am not the only person that is concerned about privacy issues.  Plus stuff is uploaded to the "cloud"  I had to admit some features were nice, but I too am concerned about privacy - i think we give  out way too much information