Honored Contributor

Re: AT&T internet service - thoughts?

@Reba055 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We've had AT&T high-speed internet for many years and love it!

My DD lives in an area where AT&T isn't available and her only choice is Comcast for internet service.....she hates it, even the high-speed is slooooooow.

@hoosieroriginal

ETA: We never have any disruptions of internet access unless a storm brings down a line.

@KingstonsMom  Something's not right. Comcast high speed internet is not slow. She needs to keep on them until they figure out what's going on. Sometimes they try splitting off too much from a main source and have to run another line. They don't like it, but oh well. 

I have my issues with Comcast like everyone else, but when things are right, they're pretty hard to beat. 

@Reba055

Unfortunately, they've had Comcast come out on several occasions to figure out the problem, to no avail.

They also have a wi-fi router from Comcast, yet they can't get internet connection on their enclosed porch, attached to the house, with their Comcast router inside the house.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Last year I dumped ATT for both internet and landline.   Before Uverse, it wasn't the worst, but they lowered the speeds you could get because they were pushing Uverse.

I ended up switching to Uverse and it was positively nightmarish.     I actually paid a fee to get out (found out I was on some kind of contract that I NEVER signed up for).

The landline service with Uverse was just patently unreliable. Furthermore, the range was pathetic.  

The internet service with Uverse was also extremely unreliable.  It went down at least once a day and often more than that.  I would have to restart the router constantly.  It was frustrating.

Now I have all three services with Charter (internet, landline, and tv) and it has been like a zillion times better.  No complaints, faster and more reliable service.      I could not be more glad to be rid of ATT.  For a while they harassed me (they don't like it when you break up with them!), but I finally got that to stop.   They also have DirecTV now so I feel for the folks who use that service.   

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We've had AT&T high-speed internet for many years and love it!

My DD lives in an area where AT&T isn't available and her only choice is Comcast for internet service.....she hates it, even the high-speed is slooooooow.

@hoosieroriginal

ETA: We never have any disruptions of internet access unless a storm brings down a line.

@KingstonsMom  Something's not right. Comcast high speed internet is not slow. She needs to keep on them until they figure out what's going on. Sometimes they try splitting off too much from a main source and have to run another line. They don't like it, but oh well. 

I have my issues with Comcast like everyone else, but when things are right, they're pretty hard to beat. 

@Reba055

Unfortunately, they've had Comcast come out on several occasions to figure out the problem, to no avail.

They also have a wi-fi router from Comcast, yet they can't get internet connection on their enclosed porch, attached to the house, with their Comcast router inside the house.

@KingstonsMom  Yeah, I know. We had the issue in a former house. You have to keep on them and bump it up to supervisors and supervisor's supervisors, lol. It's a pain. Our issue turned out to be just what I mentioned. Once they ran a new line, never another issue. They are regulated by the FCC. Never hurts to drop the fact that you will report them, and do it, if necessary. 

Honored Contributor

The people who work in the fields for comcast IMO are all learning on the job.They have to keep calling in to their supervisor to troubleshoot.They take forever to solve any problem and if  subsequent trouble arise a new person comes along with a difference of opinion on what the last person did. After all is said and done Comcast bills a labor charge to maintain their faulty rental equipment.Oh and by the way they don't inform you ahead about these charges.

Honored Contributor

I have AT&T for my telephone and internet only....was told it was U-verse  when they changed me over because of internet problems.. since then no more problems for me and my phone and internet bill is now $40.00 cheaper!

U-verse  went back to  being  called  AT&T internet&telephone service .

So i will say... i love my fast internet from AT&T!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

When I lived in the big city and had ATT internet through U-Verse (ATT's version of FIOS) it was FABULOUS. Lightning fast, never down. Was ecstatic with it.

However, if you don't live where the U-Verse infrastructure (wiring) already exists, ATT has ceased going forward with U-Verse (too expensive for them) and has combined with DirecTV for their internet. If you can't get U-Verse, your service would be the same as DirecTV service in your area, so you'd need to check up on that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I currently have ATT internet and phone a( which I am being WAY overcharged for but that is a whole other story HA!!) and Direct TV.  My speed is less than 1.

My speed is so slow because I am on Copper as opposed to fiber.

I purchased a new TV not realizing my DVR device is out of date and they are not going to upgrade me without paying for it.

After looking into Dish(even more expensive)  Called Comcast just because, and they were not interested in my business.

So, I am going to Uverse this Weds and getting an upgraded device on Friday.  2 year contract and I only have the day of installation to be disatisfied to have it removed.,without penalty.

The highest speed I will get with the new service is 3.

Direct TV does go out when it rains hard south of here.

I have talked to several people and a whole lot of them use Hulu, Netflix and an antenna for local channels.  Therefore bypassing all the big companies.  They pay $9.00 a month.

I believe more and more the companies are fighting for business and they raise the prices monthly and do as they please because they can and must, to stay in business.

I still have time to cancel and it might be wise because my new TV is a smart one and ATT says I won't be able to do movies on demand (which I don't) because the slow speed provided will not be able to keep up with the TV.  Just make the best of it I reckon and hope to save some money for a little while any way.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

The people who work in the fields for comcast IMO are all learning on the job.They have to keep calling in to their supervisor to troubleshoot.They take forever to solve any problem and if  subsequent trouble arise a new person comes along with a difference of opinion on what the last person did. After all is said and done Comcast bills a labor charge to maintain their faulty rental equipment.Oh and by the way they don't inform you ahead about these charges.

I have had Comcast for 25 years. Some of the techs are good some are not. 

I like a site DSL REPORTS. Com. The Comcast forum will give you a lot of information about service and pricing changes. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

We have ATT for Internet and Direct TV. 

Our internet has been down since yesterday.

Last September, Direct TV was installed and we have had no problems requiring a tech until this incident. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Now that I've dumped Comcast for cable service, I'm thinking of switching to AT&T for my internet.  Any thoughts?  Are you happy with AT&T (as much as you can be happy with an internet service - ha!)?

@hoosieroriginal  I get my internet and landline phone  through Century Link...I think it use to be AT&T. I pay about $80 a month fir both. I have a high speed connection. I am happy with it.