Trusted Contributor

Re: 4/8/14 XP PANIC-Can still use? No new one yet!

On 4/6/2014 Mindy D said:

There are a number of great anti malware companies that will run support for XP. Top of the line Kaspersky and Bitdefender software are going to keep working with XP and Norton might. Look on the website AV test and see. You can also upgrade to windows 7. Check if your computer is compatible at Microsoft.

Although some products will continue to "support" XP doesn't mean they'll be issuing security patches to the XP OS once Microsoft stops doing it. It only mean the programs will continue to run on an XP computer.

It doesn't matter how many people you ask, no one knows if XP users will be safe once Microsoft support ends. Even right now, it doesn't matter what OS you have you can still end up with malware. Look through some old threads here and you'll find quite a few "help me" posts because someone downloaded something nasty.

All you can do is choose to continue with XP or not. If you choose to continue you have to accept that you're taking on more risk. Maybe nothing will happen at all. If something is going to happen, there's no one that can tell you how or when.

Norton and Trend Micro have publicly recommended users upgrade.

Norton - "If you have a Windows XP computer, we strongly recommend that you upgrade to a more modern and supported operating system as soon as possible."

Trend Micro - "Trend Micro continues to recommend that users migrate to the latest supported version of an OS as soon as possible..."

support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v95977279_EndUserProfile_en_us

esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-US/1101907.aspx

Super Contributor

Hmm....my old Clickfree I bought from QVC around 6-7 years ago works fine with Windows 8.1.

It's time to learn something new. Windows 8 or 8.1 isn't that bad, and you don't need a touchscreen to use it either.

Super Contributor

Windows XP will continue to work.

Make sure you virus software will continue to support XP.

I would suggest you go to filehippo dot com and downloand the free version of malwarebytes and superantispyware. It is worth running a scan with each of them once a week. They are NOT real time virus software but very thorough and can catch things normal AV does not.

I will continue to run XP for a while. BE CAREFUL of the websites you visit and don't click on any unknown links or open unknown files.

Many people with up to date operating systems and up to date anti virus programs get malware/spyware/viruses. You just need to be extra diligent.

If you search Upgrade XP to Windows 7 ... there is a microsoft link that will walk you through the process to see if you can upgrade your current PC. The cost is under $100 and may be worth it for some people.

Esteemed Contributor