Respected Contributor

3 questions for windows 10 and windows 10 mail

I have windows 10 which was downloaded onto windows 7.

I haven't had a problem till now. All of a sudden the top heading won't stay on. It goes to file so when I want to delete something I click on home than delete to delete a message but then it goes right back to file.

To delete something I have to click on home at the top after file than delete than click back to home and to delete and keep doing that when I have several things to delete, never had to do this till today?

When on home I can't see the top of my messages or all of them since the top header covers some of them, never did this before either.

Also, I had files on the left side under storage files and they all disappeared today as well.

any suggestions for  these questions? thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: 3 questions for windows 10 and windows 10 mail

I had an experience with windows 10 last weekend that drove me nutso.  I turned on the computer and had a message that Cortana and the start menu were not working.  Nothing would load, could not get internet.  I turned on my older computer and googled the problem.  Went to every forum to find a fix.  I tried every fix listed, including the one from PC Advisor.  My computer was completely frozen and I could not download critical updates.  I had to restore my computer and go back to windows 8.1.  While researching the problem I noticed that thousands of people were complaining of the same thing.  I won't reinstall.

Respected Contributor

thanks Scooby Doo, I did find how to get my heading back on right but just can't seem to find my storage folders I had on my windows live mail program.

I had a lot of storage folders, recipes, shopping, pets/vet and stuff like that. Now all that it says is storage folders and under that is drafts, sent and delete and nothing under any of them.

Somehow I lost all my storage folders?

I would sure love to get them back.

Respected Contributor

spending all last night on google I found out how to get my header back where it belongs, one good thing anyway.

I saw a lot of suggestions on getting folders back but none pertained to my situation. Most had windows 7 or 8 where I have windows 10.

It is in my live mail program. I had them under storage folders. I downloaded updates than it shut down to download them and when it came back up they were gone.

I shut down twice and rebooted, still no folders in my storage folders. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Respected Contributor

I downloaded Win 10 and kept it for about 3 days before going back to my 8.1.  I'm not planning on trying it again.

Contributor

Live Mail had the option to delete the message from the server once you downloaded it. If you had it configured that way, your messages resided only on your computer. Did you ever back up your files before you upgraded to Windows 10? If not and if it has been less than 30 day since you upgraded, it should still be possible to revert to you previous operating system and possibly recover your folders.
Respected Contributor

it has been way more than 30 days. I don't have a problem with my e mail only the files I created under storage files where I kept my recipe files, vet files and stuff like that. I had maybe 15 files total under storage files which has nothing to do with my email but lost them all, all my storage files.

I have the e mail files, sent, drafts, delete and trash, all there. It is just the files that were under storage files that I put there.

Respected Contributor

That is why you need to store your important files some place other than the computer's hard drive.  If you don't have a backup of the files, they are most likely lost.  I doubt reverting back to Windows 8 will restore your files.  You really need to start making backups of your data/files you can't afford to lose.  

When it comes to e-mails, never save anything important in that form.  The best thing to do is to copy the body of the e-mail then paste it into a word document.  The word documents (it can be any word processing program) can be saved to an external hard drive or cloud storage.  I have backups on multiple portable hard drives versus cloud storage.  I've considreed cloud storage but haven't made the move. 

Contributor

Try logging into your email account on the web site Outlook.com. If you do not see your missing folders there they are gone.
Respected Contributor

I do have a click free(2 of them) but usually only plug them in once every 2 weeks. I don't know if I should have it in all the time or not?

I also have 2 USB flash drives I save my recipes on.