Respected Contributor

2/14/17: Does anyone know if I "reset" my Samsung tracfone will I lose

all my contacts and have to redo all of them?

I bought a 16gb SD card/chip and had it inserted,  but I am still getting warning messages that I am out of storage.  That just does not make sense because I have very little on/in the phone.  The new SD card did not help at all.

Should I reset the phone?

Honored Contributor

Re: 2/14/17: Does anyone know if I "reset" my Samsung tracfone will I lose

Reset will bring it back to the way you received it unless you can back up and then restore it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I bought a 16gb SD card/chip and had it inserted,  but I am still getting warning messages that I am out of storage.  That just does not make sense because I have very little on/in the phone.  The new SD card did not help at all.

I would reset to factory condition.  With that being said, I don't know how you get all of your settings, contacts and minutes back on the phone except to do it by hand.  Perhaps another poster can explain that to you.

I had a similar problem with my iPad where files in the category "other" were taking up almost all of the storage space.  There was no way to delete the files and I didn't know what they were.  A restore to factory specs solved the problem.  I did a backup to my computer and performed a sync once the restore was completed.  All of my apps, contacts and settings were back and the other files were gone. 

Valued Contributor

I think if you are synced with Google you can go online and see if your contacts are all listed. There are options to import and export. That might help so that you don't have to add the contacts by hand.

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@Big Sister, In my contacts app, under settings, I have an option to move the contacts saved on my device to my Google account.

If you can turn on "sync" and do this on your old phone, you should be able to go to your new phone later, and again turn on "sync", look in the contacts app, this time for "contacts to display". Select display the contacts you stored in your Google account.

Another option is to download the TracFone transfer wizard into both phones and supposedly it'll transfer all your contacts.

But personally, I'd put all my contacts in the Google cloud for safekeeping just because you can't predict a possible malfunction in the new phone or the transfer app. Once they're stored in the Google cloud I can get them in the future from any device capable of accessing my gmail account.

Respected Contributor

I am the OP.  Thank you, thank you to everyone who replied to my question.  I don't think I will have to "reset" my phone after all,  because today I took time to go to Best Buy and one of the staff members was able to "play" with my phone to correct some problems that were telling my phone there was "no more storage/memory."

I think now the problem is fixed.

Honored Contributor

You have to put your contacts out to the internet before you reset the phone. Move them to the cloud or - if you have outlook  - they are out there already. Or move them to a different device - like bluetooth them to your computer or the computer in your car , then you will be able to get them back later. The Onstar in our car has all our contacts as we use it as our hands free phone. After resetting your phone they should bluetooth right back over.

Occasional Contributor

I did that one time, but it was with the help of one of the Tracfone techs, he did it, and said at the time that I wouldn't lose anything.  Howevwr, I didn't do it myself.  I wouldn't do it yourself, try Tracfone and ask them.  I never had any trouble with understanding or talking to any of the techs with Tracfone...but I believe they are in China.  This is my 2nd Tracfone.