Valued Contributor

Re: Dooney TSV September 10!

@libbyannE , I like the Barlow bags also, which size do you have? I like the medium size better than the small, the large is just to big.

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Final decision, not that anyone will care, but I looked and looked and decided to pass on the upcoming Dooney tsv. I know 70s-style bucket bags are hot, and I had hoped that Toscana leather was a version of florentine but it does not look like it. I wish the QVC site had described the leather in the listing, but I zoomed in on the bag as best I could. I think qvc pushes Dooney for a lower price point, which rules out the good leathers that made Dooney famous in the 1980s and beloved since then. I end up buying more from Dooney itself. I even found a perfect Barlow bag on eBay last week and snapped it up. And I just pulled my gorgeous Dooney chestnut florentine mailbag and various florentine satchels out of summer storage with fall jeans and boots in mind! It seems my collection consists of pebble leather, florentine, and Toledo leathers, and I'm sticking with that quality. I only detail that here in hopes that someone at QVC cares enough to read what good customers are saying.

Please, QVC, give us a Dooney tsv with good leather! Not bonded or coated. I bought four pebble leather brennas and carry them all. And I still use the domed pebble leather tsv satchels from, oh, two years before that! 

I agree @libbyannE!  I also saw pics on the purse forum and the leather looks stamped to me.  I also do not like the lock or the inverted smaller bottom.  What i do like is the equestrian strap.  Had hoped for something that would appeal to me but yet not again.  I am enjoying my daffodil coated cotton drawstrings this summer.  Get compliments all of the time. And for new folks thinking about that bag ( a great price now)--the coated cotton softens and the drawstring will stay closed, just give it a couple of weeks!  But do treat the butterscotch trim because it will water spot.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

Final decision, not that anyone will care, but I looked and looked and decided to pass on the upcoming Dooney tsv. I know 70s-style bucket bags are hot, and I had hoped that Toscana leather was a version of florentine but it does not look like it. I wish the QVC site had described the leather in the listing, but I zoomed in on the bag as best I could. I think qvc pushes Dooney for a lower price point, which rules out the good leathers that made Dooney famous in the 1980s and beloved since then. I end up buying more from Dooney itself. I even found a perfect Barlow bag on eBay last week and snapped it up. And I just pulled my gorgeous Dooney chestnut florentine mailbag and various florentine satchels out of summer storage with fall jeans and boots in mind! It seems my collection consists of pebble leather, florentine, and Toledo leathers, and I'm sticking with that quality. I only detail that here in hopes that someone at QVC cares enough to read what good customers are saying.

Please, QVC, give us a Dooney tsv with good leather! Not bonded or coated. I bought four pebble leather brennas and carry them all. And I still use the domed pebble leather tsv satchels from, oh, two years before that! 

I agree @libbyannE!  I also saw pics on the purse forum and the leather looks stamped to me.  I also do not like the lock or the inverted smaller bottom.  What i do like is the equestrian strap.  Had hoped for something that would appeal to me but yet not again.  I am enjoying my daffodil coated cotton drawstrings this summer.  Get compliments all of the time. And for new folks thinking about that bag ( a great price now)--the coated cotton softens and the drawstring will stay closed, just give it a couple of weeks!  But do treat the butterscotch trim because it will water spot.  

@Shawnie We think alike. I am glad to know that you looked closely at the leather, too. I know that even the quality pebble leather goes through an embossing process, but the tsv leather looks cheaper. Too bad! I was really in the mood to buy. Btw, dooney's coated cotton is great quality, as you say. I understand why you love that happy daffodil bag and get compliments on it. I have one coated cotton-- a white satchel with navy db initials on it and tan trim! Love it. I use equestrian Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner on trim to prevent spotting. I get it at the tack shop but it's sold online.

Respected Contributor

I am going to wait until the presentation on September 10th.  The leather may not be stamped just a more structured leather!

Respected Contributor

@Stellabystarlight wrote:

I am going to wait until the presentation on September 10th.  The leather may not be stamped just a more structured leather!

I appreciate that opinion! Good point. You know I will be watching, and I will joyfully eat my words and buy a bag if it looks as if I am wrong. I would soooooo love to be wrong about this. Love what you originally described as the equestrian look of the wide straps and the hot bucket look. My young niece wants a bucket style or messenger style saddle bag for her birthday, so I am keeping my eyes open. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney TSV September 10!,

@Tylerpoo wrote:

@libbyannE , I like the Barlow bags also, which size do you have? I like the medium size better than the small, the large is just to big.

@Tylerpoo, hi! I have the large size florentine with side zips. And I usually am not into really big bags. It is weighty, which doesn't bother me. But, yes, it is tote size. I don't think they make the side zip Barlow in a mid size, I love the smaller Barlows (which, I think, are in the "Barlow city" line?) but have not tried one. Tempting! 

Respected Contributor

A few posters on The Purse Forum have ordered and received the Dooney TSV and say that the leather is not stamped.  It is similar to pebble leather but thicker and more structured!

Respected Contributor

@Stellabystarlight wrote:

A few posters on The Purse Forum have ordered and received the Dooney TSV and say that the leather is not stamped.  It is similar to pebble leather but thicker and more structured!

That is great news. What is purse forum? Is that the "handbags" section? I want to read the reviews. Even pebble leather is embossed, of course, so it is a matter of thickness and whether this is a thin bonded leather. It sounds as if it is better than I feared it might be. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks to the alert by stellabystarlight, I clicked on my cancelled order and found two reviews of the upcoming Dooney tsv. One describes the leather as a combination of pebble and saffiano, so I think it is an embossed coated leather like saffiano but with a nicer, more pronounced pebble texture. It should be a hit. I don't like the feel of coated leathers myself, but I know a lot of women do because the coating resists stains and marks and it wears well;  coated leathers are used even in super-high-end bags. I will still pass and hope for something I like better later on, but I think this tsv is a great value if you love that type of leather. And the bucket style is very on trend right now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Google "The Purse Forum" blog.  Scroll down until you find Dooney & Bourke Blog (within Contemporary Designers, which includes Coach, Michael Kors, etc.).  There is a blog specifically entitled "Dooney TSV Sept. 10th" and you will see photos of the TSV (check Mia Borsa's photos) and other comments!  You do not have to register to see and read the blogs.