Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wow, some of these styles are not good!

@VancouverUSAgal wrote:

That plaid hoody on this morning  made even the petite model look fat!  That long cable cardigan will stretch out when sat in and leave a butt-shaped pouch behind.   And I don't get why women think the long tops hide everything.  I've been a plus size most of my life and an honest look in a 3-way mirror tells me the longer tops are often less flattering than a mid length, especially when viewed from the rear as in walking away. The material, no matter how roomy the top, tends to cling to the fanny and emphasizes the wiggle/jiggle action more than when seen without the clinging long top.  If you doubt it, watch how the models are constantly pulling the shirt tails away from their bodies in an attempt to hide the cling.

As a XL or 1X depending upon the style...i feel i have to agree about the big tops, tunics, etc.  I don't feel the "hide it" styles always work for the larger woman....big, long drapy things often make one look even larger....

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

It's subtle fat-shaming.   

Cover your arms, cover your bottom, cover your tummy.

No thank you!!

I like my tops to hit me about at the hip-bone.  It visually cuts me in half and makes me look more in proportion.

I so applaud your post!!

"Make the best of where we're at!"

@VancouverUSAgal wrote:

THank you!  I think this is another of those fashion myths perpetrated to get heavier women to buy more products.  They play up our body image fears and actually get women to wear less flattering clothing.  I have lost 70 lbs and the longer tops look better than they did before because I have less to jiggle but at 5'4" they still aren't my best look because they make my legs look too short.  If I am finding more flattering items in the stores, especially in the non-trendy brands which still have shorter tops.  Instead of trying to hide, we just need to concentrate on making the best of where we're at.

I agree...i think mid hip length tops are def more attractive on larger sizes.....when you have weight in the midsection as i tend to have.....and put on a tunic top...it just engulfs that area and makes it appear even larger!

Respected Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

@software wrote:

It's subtle fat-shaming.   

Cover your arms, cover your bottom, cover your tummy.

No thank you!!

I like my tops to hit me about at the hip-bone.  It visually cuts me in half and makes me look more in proportion.

I so applaud your post!!

"Make the best of where we're at!"

@VancouverUSAgal wrote:

THank you!  I think this is another of those fashion myths perpetrated to get heavier women to buy more products.  They play up our body image fears and actually get women to wear less flattering clothing.  I have lost 70 lbs and the longer tops look better than they did before because I have less to jiggle but at 5'4" they still aren't my best look because they make my legs look too short.  If I am finding more flattering items in the stores, especially in the non-trendy brands which still have shorter tops.  Instead of trying to hide, we just need to concentrate on making the best of where we're at.

I agree...i think mid hip length tops are def more attractive on larger sizes.....when you have weight in the midsection as i tend to have.....and put on a tunic top...it just engulfs that area and makes it appear even larger!

I second that, and absolutely, positively agree.  I don't care for tunic tops, but when wearing leggings you need length, but I also don't wear leggings, so...IMO tunic tops make women with thick midsections and bellies look pregnant, not a good look for older gals😳

Respected Contributor

Sorry, I think the bigger "myth" is that all heavy women or short women are built the same way.  We're not.  So, while you find the tunic lengths and such to be unattractive for you, that's not the case with everyone.  What's more important is waist placement, leg length in proportion to height etc.

I don't look good in every style, I look HORRIBLE in shorter tops and what some claim would be hip length would hit me in the worst possible spot from a proportions perspective.

P S - I really liked the plaid jacket.

Trusted Contributor

Per Stacy and Clinton, proportion, proportion.  Amazing that the ladies here appear to have the " average American" figure just like me.  I am 5 ft 4 in with a long torso and a 30 inch inseam.   I have asked several designers and hosts to explain the difference between petite, average and tall.  I sew and in my many years each of those 3 sizes have different measurements for pant rise, placement of bust darts, inseam, etc.  Am I wrong?  If I am right why do you tell us that if your average pant is sold out buy one of the others. Why expect use to buy an item and pay to have it tailored or put on higher heels.  I realize that we all are responsible for what we buy but some people may just think the difference in strictly according to height.  I have also asked if all the fit models are 5 ft 9 in+.  No reply to that either.  I am one of those horrible people who bought far fewer items of clothing because of the quality and sizing problems and cost of returns.

Super Contributor

I am not saying I would like to go back to the shirt, cropped tops.  I'm just saying that I think a top long enough to sit on or have cup under the fanny is not usually the most flattering.  Obviously, for women who are much taller, that point will be different and everyone should look in a 3-way mirror and check the rear view and decide for themselves. I'm just objecting to the sales technique of saying tunics hide size and are flattering to all women which they constantly imply when showing tunics. 

Contributor

I'm 5'7" and tend to stay about 170. The old addage, long over lean, works well for me. At 63, I am still reinventing my so-called style.  Logo leggings are my main pant choice and they are wonderful paired with most of the brands here at the "Q".  My tunic favs are Issac, Logo and Graver.. Being long waisted means that tops shorter than 28" are almost cropped on me so tunics have been a real +!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am petite - 5 ft tall - with curves.  More and more I'm realizing that D & Co. styles are matronly and I'm not a spring chick.  Gary needs to update the styles.  Not everyone likes the boxey look.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Occasional Contributor

I am tall and I still hate long tops.  For shorter women, the long length cuts them in half and makes them look even shorter!

I am SO tired of tunics!  they are the worst fashion for plus sizes...I really do not like spending $'s for an item that I am going to have to cut off 5 inches before I can wear the blouse/top/tshirt or sweatshirt.