Valued Contributor

What does invalid HTML mean?

After i posted a comment, I received a message that I had an "invalid" HTML.  What does this mean?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What does invalid HTML mean?

@Carol08  I have no idea what it means.  I get it all the time.  I just click POST again and it goes through.  Hope that helps a little Smiley Happy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

It means the website has heartburn and is determined to share the heartburn experience...

Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Carol08  I have no idea what it means.  I get it all the time.  I just click POST again and it goes through.  Hope that helps a little Smiley Happy.H

Hey, @tends2dogs. I get it a lot, too. Don't have a clue. I hit post again and go on about my business. @Carol08, I hope someone smarter then me will clear up this mystery. I've wondered about it, as well.  

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  i am so glad that I am not the only one to get these @^&%$ messages.  I thought I was losing my mind, since I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.....Woman Indifferent

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The invalid HTML message usually appears when something has been copied and pasted here.  There are different HTML protocols used by different sites and what is being posted is not fully compatible or recognized by the protocol Q uses thus the message.

Although you have the opportunity to check the post before submitting most of the time you won't notice anything different from what you pasted.  In the background Q has removed/substituted incompatible HTML.   Just hit submit and your post should be fine.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I get it just with typing words, nothing copied or pasted.  I keep hitting enter until it posts.  Sometimes it takes a couple times.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I get it just with typing words, nothing copied or pasted.  I keep hitting enter until it posts.  Sometimes it takes a couple times.

@GCR18, above the reply box there are three options, Rich Text, HTML and Preview.  Is the Rich Text in bold and underlined?  If not the system is expecting the text and formatting to be done in HTML.

If HTML is the option in bold you can change the default in your settings under preference options if you want to use the default method, Rich Text.  Scroll down to the default editor to use for posts and click on the circle for either Rich Text or Default.  Don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page and save.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp

I'll have to pay more attention.  I don't change it.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Carol08 wrote:

After i posted a comment, I received a message that I had an "invalid" HTML.  What does this mean?

In the scheme of things on these forums, it doesn't mean anything. It happens randomly for no reason I can see. Just ignore it and hit Post again and you're good to go.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all