Honored Contributor

Re: Used clothing sold as new-- disgusting

@MRSTH wrote:

"Just wash it Then it won't smell. Less expensive than sending back. I wash my clothes before wearing anyway."

No, thank you. That's not the point. The clothes QVC sells, unless specified "as is", are supposed to be brand new-- never tried on by anyone. Out of the hosts' mouths.

In a b&m store, you know others have tried the clothes on and/or have been returned. No lies; no deceit.

ETA.  @SeaMaiden

You said exactly the same thing as me as I was typing. 😀

@ILTH   What you said in bold underlined above is  so the truth!  They need to stop telling this lie. I  would think it would be illegal to say that the clothes are new, never worn on air and then repackage and ship out returns... something is just deceptive about this practice UNLESS they stop saying that the clothes are always new and never worn. 

Honored Contributor

@MRSTH wrote:

@KYToby

No-one called it a "capital offense". I called it "disgusting". What IS offensive, however, is your dismissiveness.

Stating that items are brand new from the warehouse when, clearly, they are not, is a lie. It's a bait-and-switch. It's illegal, not to mention, unethical. 

"Bear in mind,thougj, that the warhouse staff deal with thousands of incoming and outgoing packages daily, so occasionally one will slip through..."

Quality control exists for a reason. It is their job to see that this doesn't happen. What happened to me is not an anomaly at QVC.

"Of course, there are ways around it.QVC could avoid doing this completely or hire more warehouse staff to ensure it doesn't happen.  Both ways, of course, will drive up costios, and as weknow, most people here are constantly complaining about the costs of both merchandise and shipping and handling."

Puhleeze. That's what doing business is about- providing  what you say you will. Stop putting the onus on the customer. 

I am amazed that people think that everything they buy is never touched or even worm by someone else.  Clothing is tried on and returned all the time to local stores and you never know it.  If it is in bad shape, call customer service at QVC and they will take care of the return shipping.  

If you shop at Dillards, take a look around the clothing dept. and see how many of those yellow return lables are on tags.  It's not a perfect world.  I've shopped at QVC for 25 years, bought quite a bit of clothing and haven't had problems with this.  A couple of times I've had clothing that got damp in shipping during big storms or that had that manufacturing smell you sometimes get, but other than that, no perfume or worn looking clothing.

Stuff happens.  I get that. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@sunshine45 I've heard a lot of sales pitches from hosts, but like you, I haven't heard them say everything in new and has never been tried on by anyone else.  I know I've received returned items, but only once was an item smelly.

@AuntG  That is not acceptable in my book....any returned items is too many.....and a smelly item ONLY ONCE?  Gross!  You must be easy to please.

New Contributor

You are correct. But even more disgusting is QVC selling returned beauty products to the general public to disseminate instead of destroying them. 

Honored Contributor

@blablablogger wrote:

You are correct. But even more disgusting is QVC selling returned beauty products to the general public to disseminate instead of destroying them. 

What kind of beauty product did you receive?

Valued Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
Have you ever tried on a new item off a rack at the department store that had perfume or make-up on it? They call it new too.

Valid point but at least you have the opportunity to see it (and smell it!) with your own eyes (nose) and decide if you want to try it on or purchase it. 

I once received a shirt that had someone's return form still stuck to the shirt.  was rolled up into a wrinkled ball and had dog hair all over it.   If it was something i loved, I would have just washed it but I can't say that holding it up, I was that enticed to do all that, I was totally turned off and I just sent the whole thing back. 

Honored Contributor

I have received clothing items from the Q that REEK of cigarettes!!!!  I did return.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

Just wash it Then it won't smell. Less expensive than sending back. I wash my clothes before wearing anyway.

I launder my clothes as well before wearing.  However, when the smell doesn't go away and I paid as if new - back it goes. 

Doesn't leave one with a very good feeling of purchasing on line. 

This has happened more times than I can remember.  Also, in a dept. store if the garment has the same issue, I don't buy it. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

This is the exact reason why I would never purchase an EMJOI or Clarisonic or anyother personal care item from QVC.   I would hurl if it was "used".

@MRSTH wrote:

Shopping online is supposed to be a convenience. 

I just received a top that was sold "as new". It reeks of perfume. Now, I have to wait on line at the post office to return this stinky item. What a way to spend my day off. Waiting on line at a post office in NYC is such a joy.

It would be one thing if it were my fault. But, it's a disguising practice to sell smelly used clothes as new. 

Never again. 

I don't think they are allowed by law to re-sell personal or beauty products if they are used. 

So, that is one line of products I don't think you would need to worry about.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@blablablogger wrote:

They CANNOT do that.  Beauty products cannot be sold if they are USED.

Hyacinth