Trusted Contributor

Shipping costs--yeah, I know...been discussed to death

I know this has been discussed by many, but, really. After spending thousands of dollars on hundreds of items, to be smacked with shipping fees to & from on one returned item is ridiculous. That's no way to build customer loyalty.
Nickel-and-diming customers turns them away--- at least, this one. QVC has no business sense.
As others have said, there are too many other options.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

Honored Contributor

Re: Shipping costs--yeah, I know...been discussed to death

I think it's stupid the way they make such a big deal about 'buy more than one and you get an extra $3 or $5 off', then they charge you $3 for just picking up the second item and putting it in the bag!  Just another way for them to make money.

Respected Contributor

Just out of curiosity, who do you think should pay for the shipping? 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I think it's stupid the way they make such a big deal about 'buy more than one and you get an extra $3 or $5 off', then they charge you $3 for just picking up the second item and putting it in the bag!  Just another way for them to make money.

What I hate is the way they urge you to try something, well trying can get expensive.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Agree to the point that it would encourage more buying... but it also encourages customers to buy and use for 30 days and return items in horrible unsaleable condition (as well as buying multiples and returning all but one) and I think I remember this being one of the reasons for the shipping costs.  Discourage sales or encourage sales to the point of ruined merchandise?

Also (I'm a small seller on eBay) postage prices have gone up yearly for the last three years with the last up in USPS postage prices being Jan 2017.  Personally, I simply can't offer much free shipping, especially on $20 and under items... and they ALL want free or greatly reduced shipping.... it gets old.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I cringe every time they say, "It's OK to buy more than one".  You hear that over and over, especially with Jane in the mornings.

I also HATE it when callers say, "Thank you for bringing this to us".  Who are they talking to?  The Vendor or the salesperson?  Thank them?  It's their job....

Honored Contributor

@Q4u I posted earlier about shipping costs for the average person.  I go to the post office several times a week (sending stuff back and mailing to my daughters and friends).

I just sent my daughter in Denver a very, very small box, it was as light as a feather, and it cost me a few penny's less than $12!  That's stupid!

Just a birthday card often gets pulled through the slots they have and if it is puffy (like the card is 3D) I have to add money to the stamp!

I just mailed out a birthday card (a little larger than a small card).  The card cost me $6.99 (swear to you) and then I put on a regular stamp.  It also had a $35 gift card in it.  The post office employee said, "You'll need to put some more money into it".  So I had to stick on there another 2 stamps to be sure.  That's incredible!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Q4u I posted earlier about shipping costs for the average person.  I go to the post office several times a week (sending stuff back and mailing to my daughters and friends).

I just sent my daughter in Denver a very, very small box, it was as light as a feather, and it cost me a few penny's less than $12!  That's stupid!

Just a birthday card often gets pulled through the slots they have and if it is puffy (like the card is 3D) I have to add money to the stamp!

I just mailed out a birthday card (a little larger than a small card).  The card cost me $6.99 (swear to you) and then I put on a regular stamp.  It also had a $35 gift card in it.  The post office employee said, "You'll need to put some more money into it".  So I had to stick on there another 2 stamps to be sure.  That's incredible!

Postage costs are horrible.... and I get a small eBay discount for all the shipping I do.  Priority is just about the same price as some of the other venues (except First Class, under 16oz and Media Mail) so I ship Priority Flat Rate when I can and always compare Priority to other ways of shipping.  And I always give my customers a break on the cost, a couple of dollars of good will.  But it's a shock to actually go to the post office and see what they are charging to mail something!

And I realize that QVC as a huge corporation gets a big corporate discount on shipping..... and as their customer shipping costs factor into what I buy or don't buy.... but as someone who is a small seller, I can see the other side as well.  Woman Indifferent

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

HSN is the only shopping channel that still refunds original s/h on a return.  I highly suspect that is going to change.

I don't know of any other company that refunds original s/h on a return.  You are out that money plus what it costs for you to send the items back.

I don't think $3.00 is bad to send clothing however there are some items that are slowly creeping up for one reason or another.  I think s/h on most shoes is crazy and the s/h on some of the handbags is downright stupid.  I would never pay that.

Yeah there are stores that don't charge s/h at all, some that give free s/h when you spend X amount of dollars but there are also a lot of stores with s/h far more expensive than QVC.

I comparison shop, find out who is offering the best deal and make my decision from there. 

If anyone has been to the post office lately and paid to send something back on their own, they will realize how high shipping is.  More often than not anymore, it is cheaper to use the return label than to pay for return shipping on your own.

Respected Contributor

People want something for nothing.  You want to buy it, you need to pay for S&H too.  A business can't be expected to pay S&H to and back should you decide you don't want it.  There are very few businesses that offer that.  That's how QVC started losing money to begin with.  Especially when people take advantage.  Online shoppers need to be proactive and make better choices.