Super Contributor

How in the world can an AS IS item be backordered?

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, I saw a great As Is Dooney bag.  I watched a video, decided that I wanted it, and then tried to order.  It was gone.  I watched on and off yesterday and today hoping another would pop in.  It finally did and I ordered it.  I got an email confirming my order.  Then, I just decided to check my order status.  I had a bad feeling.  It is now backordered.  How can that be?   Isn't an AS IS item a customer return?  I can get the same bag in clearance, but it is about $30 more.  I am so disappointed.   How can an order go through if there is no inventory?  Also, if I had not checked my order, I would be happily expecting the order, not knowing it was on backorder.  I don't routinely check my orders, but I will next time, if there is a next time.  Don't I at least deserve an email explaining the mistake?   Aggggggggggggggggggg

Honored Contributor

Re: How in the world can an AS IS item be backordered?

They probably have tracking showing that a return is coming back. Or that one is sitting in the warehouse but hasn't been processed yet. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I think it happens because the inventory was wrong.  I've had it happen several times with as is.  I usually wait a week, then cancel the order.  I have though let one go through and it was filled.  If you still want it, leave the order out there.  Yes, it would be nice if an email went out when there's a status change like this.

Respected Contributor

I don't know how that can happen either. The "as is" items are suppose to be returns or items that were used by the models and hosts during the presentations. 

Valued Contributor

I think it means they thought they had the stock when you placed your order so your order went through but when they tried to fulfill that order, the actual stock didn't match that inventory.

Rather than cancel the order, they leave it on back order status for a while in case more stock becomes available in a reasonable timeframe.