Esteemed Contributor

Re: your opinions on this situation

@JBKO wrote:

I love babies so I would have been understanding. I can totaly see how others wouldn't be though. Don't they say it takes a village to a raise a child lol? 

I love babies too.  So I would do whatever it took to soothe the baby rather than simply let the baby scream.  A screaming baby is not a happy baby!  Almost always a change of scene is needed.  

There's a reason the baby is screaming, and allowing it to continue in a public place is bad parenting.  A screaming baby is not good for anyone, the baby included.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Q4u I completely agree with everything you said. 

I believe that by the time a child is school age they are the person they will be forever. You must train them when they are very young  or you will have a teenage monster on your hands.

That's the most depressing thing I ever heard.  Of course people are not the person they will be forever unless they are so narcissistic that they think everything they do is golden.

The most wonderful thing and a lot of what makes us human is the desire and the abiity to change.  The best part of life is growing and understanding more and more about your place in the world and the possibilities to be the person you want to be.  That's what American is all about isn't it?  That we don't have to be the person we were when we were six?

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

If it's a screaming "phase," then you do not take the child to a restaurant until the phase is outgrown. What happened to one adult taking the child outside if the screaming or crying continued?

If you can't afford or find a babysitter and don't want to cook, I'd get takeout.

Parents like this absolutely do ruin the evening for everyone else in the restaurant. I know they've ruined plenty of dinners for me.

My parents never took my brother and I to ANY restaurant until we were old enough to behave in a way that was not disturbing to other patrons.

That makes perfect sense.

When my kids were very young, and my husband & I wanted to go out for dinner we always hired a babysitter.  Specifically so we could have a meal in peace and know that others wouldn't be disturbed by our kids.  We didn't have a lot of money back then, so it didn't happen often.  It always bothered me when we were disturbed by other people's kids on these rare nights out after leaving our own at home with a babysitter.

Where they were happier, btw!  It's no wonder that kids act up in restaurants - Lots of them are too young to sit still that long, and adult conversation is boring to them.  Much of the time, it's not even the children's fault.  

My kids didn't go anywhere (theater, museums, restaurants, movies) until we felt they were ready to not only get something out of it, but also not to disturb others.  I would be mortified if my kids acted up in public, and getting them out of there quickly would be my highest priority immediately.  

A child going through a "screaming phase" clearly needs to stay home. The handwriting was on the wall before they even left home.  I don't understand how the parents thought that evening was going to end well.  It's selfish, IMO, and shows little regard for the child as well as others.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

If noisy kids bother you ... don't go to a family restaurant.  

Personally - noisy kids don't bother me.  I once was just like them!

There's a big difference between noisy kids and a 10-month old going through a screaming phase.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Just because you take your child to a family restaurant doesn't mean you shouldn't make sure your children act appropriately. Kids do throw tantrums and babies do cry, that is normal. What isn't normal @ALRATIBA is to expect others to deal with you letting them sit there and cry or scream without taking the child outside or to the restroom to calm them down or tell them (if age appropriate) that if they don't calm down you will be leaving. Other people pay for their meals too and don't deserve to be interrupted by an uncontrollable child. If your child was throwing a loud tantrum or you had a baby crying that would not stop would you just sit there and let everyone else be interrupted by that? You would not take your meal to go? No one is saying that even the best behaved children don't have their moments. It is the parents though that need to step up when they do have those moments so it isn't every other diners problem.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201, once a year from the OP?  It's getting to be a weekly thing.  There have already been 2 this week but one was deleted. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Just because you take your child to a family restaurant doesn't mean you shouldn't make sure your children act appropriately. Kids do throw tantrums and babies do cry, that is normal. What isn't normal @ALRATIBA is to expect others to deal with you letting them sit there and cry or scream without taking the child outside or to the restroom to calm them down or tell them (if age appropriate) that if they don't calm down you will be leaving. Other people pay for their meals too and don't deserve to be interrupted by an uncontrollable child. If your child was throwing a loud tantrum or you had a baby crying that would not stop would you just sit there and let everyone else be interrupted by that? You would not take your meal to go? No one is saying that even the best behaved children don't have their moments. It is the parents though that need to step up when they do have those moments so it isn't every other diners problem.

@Irshgrl31201  Well said.  I think the majority of us have no problem at all with kids being kids but do have a big problem with parents not being parents.  

To take this a step further, I will never forget the woman walking around Target with about a 10 month old baby who had also discovered his voice and was screaming at regular intervals.  His "mother" was echoing the scream as she rolled him in the cart.  I will never forget the looks between strangers that day and felt better that it wasn't just me who thought she was beyond inappropriate.    

Honored Contributor

Just thinking that if we have 'screaming' or 'restless' youngsters, we should probably stay home.  Less stress for all concerned.  Also, there are so many companies out there that pick up and deliver meals from local restaurants.  We receive flyers in our mailbox a few times a week.  Very popular delivery services in some areas.  Some state that the first dinner delivery is free.  And some actually say that the first meal is free, if I recall.  I'll have to look in my recycling bin later, to make sure.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Irshgrl31201   

Actually ... I never had any children of my own.  I have no control over how other people feel about it, but I'm not bothered by other people's noisy kids.  If I were, I'd avoid places that were "family friendly."

Respected Contributor

We had a tongue in cheek sign in the teacher's lounge that stated" Unattended children will be given caffeine and a free puppy'.