Honored Contributor

would you shoot down a drone hovering over your property?

WE don't own guns, but it seems to me this is a privacy invasion issue. I think if I did own a gun, I would be tempted

Super Contributor

Re: would you shoot down a drone hovering over your property?

If I could, yes.  

Hate those things, except for aerial photography.

Honored Contributor

I do own a gun, but I wouldn't use it to shoot down a drone.

Respected Contributor

I would call the non-emergency # at the Police Dept and ask them if it were legal.  If illegal and it was flying low, I would swat it down with a broom.

I don't mean an armed drone, of course--just one of those snoopy ones.

Honored Contributor

I would call the police.

It's illegal to discharge a firearm like that - the bullet could land somewhere and hurt someone.

Respected Contributor

With what?  We aren't gun owners, we would never be gun owners.  However, in theory if a drone encroached upon me or my property and I had the means to do so, I'd shoot it out of the sky and grab an ax and chop up the pieces.  We need some privacy laws sooner rather than later.  I can't climb up on my neighbor's balcony and peek into her window and film she's doing.....but......I can fly a tiny plane onto her balcony and film to heart's content????   Does that even make any sense?

Esteemed Contributor

I own a gun and I have a new drone coming via UPS tomorrow. Would I shoot one down? Absolutely not, unless of course it was shooting at me.

I realize they have a camera on them, as does my new drone. Have no plans on using the camera unless to chase our furry ones around the house.

Most people that buy drones ain't about to let them out of their site and I don't have a problem with any of my neighbors checking out our property. The drone will have to fly very high to miss all of our trees, and if it gets too low?  The trees will "eat it up".

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

If I had one of those paint guns or big water guns I would try to do that.

Honored Contributor

No. If I miss, that bullet is going to land somewhere and I don't want to injure anyone because I wasn't thinking. Honestly, I'm so sick of frightened people shooting without thinking. There are ways to deal with annoyances or problems without shooting.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

WE don't own guns, but it seems to me this is a privacy invasion issue. I think if I did own a gun, I would be tempted

Hi Cherry, we'd have nothing to shoot it down with.  If it had been hovering for a substantial amount of time, I'd call the police and ask for advice.