Honored Contributor

what is in the cookie jar?

[ Edited ]

I used to years ago, when my kids were small. I always made choc chip cookies for them, because they were their favs

My mother always made peanut butter and oatmeal cookies and put them in a cookie jar

She said her mother always had 2 cookie jars. one for vanilla cookies and the other for brown cookies

I can't indulge now so we don't have one. I think they are nice though. It's fun to be able to get a fresh tasting cookie from the jar

Honored Contributor

My cookie jar has oatmeal in it...don't bake anymore either.

Honored Contributor

I have a 'Felix the Cat' cookie jar, but I've never put cookies in it.  I'm too weird about storage so any time I do have cookies, I put them in Lock & Lock.   I know - I'm a nut.  I like soft cookies, so this is probably why it works better that way.

One of the grocery store I frequent makes these coconut pecan cookies, to which I am addicted so I try to not buy them too often.  I'm such a nut for anything coconut.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The one in my kitchen is the one my Mom had in her kitchen from the time she married my Dad until I married in 1981.  She knew I would start putting cookies in it again after it just sitting mostly empty for long periods until holidays or get togethers came around.  It got quite a bit of use in my home now it just as my potholders sitting on top of the lid for opening the oven's door ect.......

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Re: what is the cookie jar?

[ Edited ]

Giggle.

Love the innocence of this forum at times.

Just re-listened to "Goodies" by Ciara...hits it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: what is in the cookie jar?

[ Edited ]

The cookie jar that sits atop my refrigerator was a gift to my maternal grandmother at her wedding shower.  It dates to the 1920's.  I keep some of her handwritten recipe cards for cookies and other desserts in it.  When I pass it will go to my niece.

Frequent Contributor

I have a pumpkin cookie jar out now with Chips Ahoy cookies in it. 

Honored Contributor

I have never used a cookie jar, although I have several, including the one from my maternal grandmothers kitchen.   

Honored Contributor

No cookie jar - they don't last that long with me. Never had a cookie jar as a child either - no parental or grandparental cookie bakers. Whenever I cross paths with a Toll House cookie store or a good local bakery, I buy and moderately gorge choc chip with nuts. Also love snickerdoodles, and oatmeal without raisins or chips- just oatmeal, and maybe cranberries or cherries. And at the bakeries who still do them, iced decorated sugar cookies.

Most of the time, I want chewy cookies, not crisp or crunchy. 

On the rare (nowadays) occasions I make cookies it'll be the Toll House recipe.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I used to love to bake and made my son many yummy batches of cookies.  Then he informed me he really preferred Oreos.  So much for my "mother earth" image.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment