Honored Contributor

Re: wedding accommodation question

Driving an hour from one's home in one's own car can't be compared with having to rent a car or take a bus to drive an hour after already spending hours in airports and on planes. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Driving an hour from one's home in one's own car can't be compared with having to rent a car or take a bus to drive an hour after already spending hours in airports and on planes. 

if they dont want THAT experience then guests have the option of booking one of the hotels that is closer to the venue. that is the reason why the bride and groom want to include that information on the save the date card......which was the original intent of the thread.
of course, their other option is to decline the invitation if they dont find the choices of accomodations acceptable.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

While the willingness of guests to travel and incur considerable expense to be part of a couple's wedding says a lot about them, so does the couple's choice of venue, their concern or lack of concern for their guests define them. That they give little or no thought to the price a guest must pay or that some guests who would very much wish to attend are disappointed when they can't afford it shows what matters most to them.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PeterDM wrote:

@fallsnow56 wrote:

We are planning a wedding for our daughter that will take place in a mountain town during tourist season.  We have called hotels and have been told that since this is high tourist season they will not do room blocks or hold rooms like they would closer to town. If we send out Save the Dates early with a site where rooms can be booked in the mountain town and advise to book early are we good?  The closest town to the venue is an hour away.  Do we attempt to hold rooms there and provide a map to the venue? Thanks in advance.  Have never done this before! 

@HarDee Well, this thread has been all over the place.  I think you're good with letting the guests know that although you cannot reserve a block of rooms, they can, and should, book a room ASAP if they are certain they will be attending.  Tell them that rooms at the venue are limited, and if they don't book in timely fashion, they may need to stay an hour away.  If the guests will be "nearest and dearest," then there should be a great amount of certainty whether or not they will attend far enough in advance that they should be able to make the decision and the reservation.  Good luck!

PeterDM, it certainly has! Thanks to you and all who answered.  It's very much appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

A couple can have their wedding at a park, with hamburgers and hotdogs for the reception.

With family and friends scattered throughout the country, there will always be travel expenses.

That does NOT mean that the couple only cares about money.

For guests to expect, or even demand to be catered to, and waited on hand and foot, shows that it is them who is inconsiderate, and shows that they are the selfish, self-centered ones, not the couple.

Honored Contributor

@HarDee

I'm curious. (nosey) Is your name fall snow 56 or falls now 56 or neither?

Regular Contributor

lulu2, it's fall snow 56.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Note:  This is about weddings, parties, and guests and hosts in general.  

I take the view that if the day is all about the couple they should elope.  If the celebration isn't about everyone who attends, then there is no point in having a wedding with people in attendance.  

In the tradition of hosting, it is about the guests and about sharing time, love and resources with them.  If a major focus isn't on the guests, there is no point in their being there.

I think a lot of today's weddings (no one in mind in particular here but just from what I see and read), are simply a big show put on the sole purpose of impressing people.  Sorry, but I see a lot of that.  Otherwise, the weddings are a great event held for the benefit of the wedding party to socialize with their GUESTS and for everyone to join together to celebrate and enjoy the expreience of the day AS A GROUP.  

It is easy to look at any event an think about how much attention was given to the people attending, whether it's a picinic, a simple meal in someone's home, weekend guests or whatever.  Sometimes it is a pretty ME ME ME world today and that's sad. 

I'd have to agree that today's weddings seem to be more about the production than the celebration... All the angst posted regularly on these boards alone about every aspect of them just says to me most of them need to be scaled back and the focus of what the wedding should be about needs to be clarified. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

A couple can have their wedding at a park, with hamburgers and hotdogs for the reception.

With family and friends scattered throughout the country, there will always be travel expenses.

That does NOT mean that the couple only cares about money.

For guests to expect, or even demand to be catered to, and waited on hand and foot, shows that it is them who is inconsiderate, and shows that they are the selfish, self-centered ones, not the couple.

Truely, there will most likely be some who will have to travel a good distance, along with the expense. However, that is not the same as expecting everyone to travel, nor is it the same expense as choosing a resort venue where hotel rooms are limited and the cost for them at least twice that of ones in non resort areas.

If exagerating, waited on hand and foot, is needed to defend couples who care more about the place than making it possible for their less well off friends and family, less mobile friends and family to attend then they really have no defence.

Honored Contributor

Reading through this thread reminded me of the movie Father of the Bride with Steve Martin. Smiley Happy