Honored Contributor

Re: single stream recycling...any experience?

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I'd never heard about Single Stream Recycling.  We have bins where one is for acceptable recyled products, a bin for yard trimmings, and then a bin for trash.  I do my part and separate the items.  Hope it all makes a difference for the better. 

Sounds like you have Single Stream.  The alternative is to sort your recyclables - for example, separate bins for glass, tin cans, aluminum, plastic, paper, cardboard, etc.

Respected Contributor

I have never heard of single stream recycling, but after reading posts I am jealous.

We do not have recycling where I live (not mandated due to our township population).  It is a shame because if the total population of the surrounding townships and boroughs were considered it would be a requirement.

We do have a volunteer organization that does recycling.  So we clean and separate our 1&2 plastics, glass, metals and paper/cardboard and transport it to them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have single stream here but I still separate it because neither of the two containers we have - one for paper, the other for cans and bottles are big enough to hold it all and I really don't want the paper blowing all over the street.

Respected Contributor

We have it available through our private haulers (we do not have municipal waste services). I did some research, read a couple of white papers on the glass/paper contamination issues, and decided against it. If  they did dual stream, which keeps the paper separate from the glass, metal, and plastics, I might do it. But I enjoy the monthly trip to the recycling center, and that was the only place I could surrender my spent CFL bulbs. They no longer accept them, and ask you to put them in the trash, believe it or not.

Honored Contributor

All of the garbage collection companies here are privately owned and most of them have discontinued their recycling programs. If we want to recycle any waste then we need to take it to special recycling locations. Very inconvenient.Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

My trash collection service gives me a large bin for recycling and one for trash.  My recycling bin always has more stuff in it than my trash.  I roll the bin to the curb on recycling day and roll it back after it's been picked up.  I'm happy with the service and have never had a problem.

Exact same situation here- they gave us a large bin which we roll out to the side of the road. Never an issue and the recycle bin is always much more filled up compared to our regular trash, which makes me feel better. We try to buy what we can with as minimal packaging as we can or with recycleable packaging.

We live out in the boonies so I am actually suprised we get this service. Most of the people out here don't use it though, which is too bad. Some areas they are mandating it and you will be fined if you don't start putting recycleables in the blue bin. It isn't for little nitpicky things but if they go and pick up your trash and see a bunch of newspapers, cans and plastic bottles, for example, they can, and will, fine you. 

ETA: our glass containers still get seperated in a plastic bin. They don't want it mixed with all the other recycleables.

Honored Contributor

I have three large containers on wheels that are all picked up on the same day every week.  One is for recycling, one is for trash and one is for yard waste that they compost.  They base the charge you pay for garbage pick up based on the size of your trash container.  You have the choice of three sizes.  

Honored Contributor

We have single stream, only every other week. I wish it was every week, would just be less to put out. Use large trash cans on wheels, most weeks two but sometimes three. I am a recycling fanatic. I wish they would require covered containers, I hate when it blows everywhere. Big boxes have to be broken down to a certain size.

We have a very long driveway but I don't mind doing it at all. In my suburban neighborhood I am the only female I know of who puts the trash and recycling out and brings the barrels back down. Strange to me, but I like it. It's out of necessity, but I would choose to do it anyway. 

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

our single stream recycling is picked up once a week and it is not mandatory.

our trash collection is picked up once a week.

our yard waste is separate, can be in bags, and is picked up twice a month.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Our single stream is still picked up by the driver - they got rid of the second guy a long time ago and it's every other week.  

It's picked up by the same company that picks up the regular trash.

It's supposed to be mandatory but since the regular trash is done by the arm on the truck there are neighbors that don't do it anymore because no one can see what's in the regular can anymore.

I guess at some point in time they will have to give us new cans so they can use the arm on the truck instead of getting in and out every house.