Trusted Contributor

Re: see a penny pick it up......

Yes, I always pick them up and think of one of my best friends that past away 5 years ago. I think she sends them my way.

On a side story - I always take an afternoon walk on my lunchtime. I found 7 shiny pennies on the ground about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Instead of keeping them, I gathered them up and put them by a light post at the transit stop. I remembered this and when I went to check on them this week . . . they were all still there!

I thought that was weird as a lot of people congragate there. Either no one saw them or thought that 7 cents was just not worth carrying.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

This is a true story, I swear to you.  When my husband died in my arms, they took him out to the hospital and I had to get a cab because they thought it wasn't safe for me to follow. 

Where I live (more like country) not many people take cabs so it took time for it to come.  I had not been in one in many years.  The cab was old and the guy driving it was very old and spoke another language.

I got in the back seat and sitting right next to me on the seat was a penny.  Just one penny sitting on the seat.

@Annabellethecat66

I BELIEVE!

When I saw this thread I kinda freaked.  I've been missing my Jade and asking her to come back to me with a sign lately.  Well a couple of weeks ago, Eddy was sniffing under Jade's couch.  I got the lint cleaner I use for the fridge and also under that couch and lo and behold, out came Jade's pink ball (I've cleaned under that couch not long ago and no balls came out).  Did not want Eddy to have that ball, so placed it on a chair and said let's go.  Next thing I see Eddy with the ball.  Didn't think that much of it.  This past week we were in the sunporch again and Eddy was sniffing under Jade's couch.  Again, I got another ball out - Jade's green one this time!  Now, I'm wondering how these balls are showing up under the couch!  Again, Eddy's got enough balls, so placed it on an upolstered rocking chair, in the middle of the seat surrounded by crystal things (breakables)I'm gonna donate,  so he couldn't get this ball!  A while later he wanted to go into his yard.  I noticed him playing with a ball - Jade's green ball! Nothing was disturbed on the rocker, yet the ball was no longer there as Eddy had it.  Kind freaking out now 'cause there's no way Eddy could have reached that ball unless he climbed up and everything would have fallen.  Told my cousin who said it was Jade who got the ball for Eddy.  Well, when I came back from the hairdresser last week I went over to make a coffee - had coffee before leaving for my appointment so had been at the counter; plus, I'm always at that side of the counter - it's by the stove and microwave.  Before I left there was no penny and when I got back, there was a penny right there next to my cup on the counter!  (Plus don't carry change - any change I have is in the car cups.)  Shocked, yet happy, I realized it was Jade!  Whenever I get really down, missing her so much, she comes to me then I feel better again.

So, pennies really are from Heaven!HeartWoman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

My dad always said "Are you too rich to pick up a penny?" so I always pick up a coin whenever I see one. Sometimes it's in a place where it's pretty embarrassing for me to go dig it up.  My dad passed away 7 years ago so I always think he is saying hi to me from heaven.  My husband works in NYC and never would stop to pick up a penny but now he feels guilty if he doesn't! He's told me he's almost gotten killed trying to pick one up in the middle of the street.  I wish I kept all the change I've found since he died in a separate container - I've found so much. I always think of how much I love him when I find one.

Honored Contributor

As a child, I was always thrilled to find a penny!  I have been told it's only good luck to pick up a penny that you find if its face up - if not - leave it.  Also, I heard something about finding a penny is a message from heaven - an angel wishing to reach you or something like this.  Not sure --- can someone else clarify this???  

I would be thrilled to find any money at this point!  LOL.  And boy, I wish they would drop those special pennies in my area!!!  I could sure use it! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

In our family we've always believed that when you see a penny it comes from Heaven from someone you've lost they've sent it to you to let you know they are near.

Shortly after my brother passed, I was getting out the car, looked down and there were 3 pennies at my feet.  I took it as a sign that he was with my mother and father.

When I do see a penny in the street, I will pick it up - put it in a different pocket and put it in a little bowl I keep in the hutch.  They never get put into the loose change jar.

Respected Contributor

How neat.

I always pick up pennies.  I see the little rhyme too - see a penny, pick it up.  All day long, you'll have good luck.

I have a shiny penny from every year since 1994 - the year I met my husband.  I have them all saved in a porcelain box.

Respected Contributor

Hmm...The saying I know goes, "Find a pin and pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck. Find a pin and let it lay, bad luck you'll have throughout the day."

So,

1) I guess I'm not rich after all these years of staring at the ground when I walk.

2) I picked up a rusty pin once and then needed a tetanus shot.

Honored Contributor

Such a lovely and inspiring thread.

I was taught as a child that if you wanted to buy something and had passed a penny by, your purchase might be one penny short and you'd be unable to purchase.

I've found all kinds of coins, and I have found some that seem to have been "left" for me. 

Honored Contributor

thanks so much for all of your wonderful stories! Heart

good luck to those of you who live in and around the areas where the pennies were spread! Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I found a penny on the floor of first used car and I've transfered it from car to car when I've bought another vehicle for about 40 years. Every once in a while someone will notice it on the floor and pick it up.
I tell them it's supposed to be there, drop it!