Respected Contributor

Re: "You Have to Fake it to Make it"-agree or disagree?

Isn't the quote "fake it till you make it?"

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I am what I am, and who I am, and  don't pretend to be anything, or anyway else

Trusted Contributor

yes Fake it til' you make it. I just wanted everything to fit in the space provided.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this refers to crafting, I'm not even good at faking it.  A glue gun signals catastrophe in my hands.

Trusted Contributor

I had thought of this in the context of a new job. You may have to work extra hard until the work becomes familiar and easier.
Do the math.
Respected Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

yes Fake it til' you make it. I just wanted everything to fit in the space provided.

There is quite a difference between the two sentences.  Faking till you make it might indicate a person is initially insecure and trying to show a brave front until he/she gains insight or experience.

Faking it TO make it, to me, indicates a person is purposely lying about their qualifications in order to pull the wool over proverbial eyes and it's not the original adage.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
I had thought of this in the context of a new job (though not in the sense of being dishonest.) You may have to work extra hard until the work becomes familiar and easier. The same perhaps with school, i.e. starting college and initially feeling overwhelmed. You "fake it" (give your self pep talks that you can do it - all the time while studying, going for extra help, etc.) until you become more comfortable with the process.
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

It doesn't seem like a good life plan.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO: My understanding of the phrase is quite different:: Fake it 'till you make it. and yes, it's sometimes a good choice! Think Diamonique, for example.

Trusted Contributor

LOL QueenDiva! Diamonique!

I think you're right RoughDraft. There is a fine between being confident/assertive and being fake though. I am always trying to detect that in people.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.