Esteemed Contributor

Re: "We don't know who you are, so you can't purchase a [Hermes] Birkin Bag"

@italia8140 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

I honestly believe that I would never buy one of those bags even if I could easily afford it.

DITTO. The Birkin Bag was nothing special.

@italia8140

@wildcat fan

Reardless, everyone has a right to purchase, even if they have only one eye in the middle o their forehead

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I remember seeing an incident about Oprah vacationing and shopping. She asked the saleslady to see the most expensive handbag on the highest shelf. Oprah said the sales woman would not take that down b/c she couldn't possible afford that bag. 

I remember that @febe1,

I think it happened in Paris.

The incident I remember is that the store was already closed and Oprah was mad that they wouldn't open back up for her.  

Edited because I found the story:

(CNN) -- Luxury store Hermes on Wednesday apologized to Oprah Winfrey for turning her away last week, saying that its Paris store was closed to set up for a public relations event when the talk show host stopped by.

"Hermes regrets not having been able to accommodate Ms. Winfrey and her team and to provide her with the service and care that Hermes strives to provide to each and every one of its customers worldwide," the store said in a statement.

"Hermes apologizes for any offense taken due to such circumstances."

The store said the incident occurred on June 14 around 6:45 p.m., about 15 minutes after the store closed. It said Winfrey and her team arrived at a time when "a private PR event was being set up inside."

Harpo Productions spokeswoman Michelle McIntyre said Winfrey "will discuss her 'crash moment' when her show returns from hiatus in September."

"Crash" is a film dealing with race relations. The phrase "crash moment" refers to situations where a party feels discriminated against on the basis of skin color.

The New York Daily News cited sources close to Winfrey as saying the talk show host was first rebuffed by a clerk and then a store manager. The Daily News reported Winfrey had gone to the store to buy a watch for singer Tina Turner, her dining partner that night.

McIntyre confirmed that account for CNN.

The New York Post, in its Monday Page Six gossip column, reported she was turned away because the store had been "having a problem with North Africans lately."

In comments to CNN, an Hermes spokeswoman categorically denied that allegation.

"There was never any discussion of North Africans," she said. "The story is not true."

The spokeswoman said Winfrey came to the store 15 minutes after closing and a security guard informed her the store was closed and gave her a card, telling her she could come back the next day.

Surveillance videotape of the encounter supports the store's account, according to the spokeswoman.

She said the CEO of Hermes has called Winfrey's people to explain "the situation" and invited her to come back to shop in the store.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

Oprah was in Switzerland at a Trois Pommes boutique.

I would have bought the store and said: Okay now you work for me.

Can you show the bag to me now?

@Pqfan

I get your point.  However, for us regular folks, her attitude rankles, like, "I'm better than ___ and don't ______ it."   I find that very unkind.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Hi to you Rebecca,

Had my first experience with this in 1959 when I was only 19. Worked Graveyard shift at the time so I did most of my things in the mornings. Anyways!

I decided to buy my first brand new car. I went to a Ford dealer in our north end of the city, close to where we lived. Now I had a dirty factory job and I wore bib overalls to work, thus that is how I was dressed.

I had done a few other things prior to going to this showroom. There were several people looking at the time. Dressed better than this young hick kid, but I went there knowing I was going to buy a new 1960 Thunderbird, and also pay cash for it.

I got tired of being ignored for the best part of an hour so I said to 1of the salesman, "you want to sell me a car"? He said he would be right with me, sure he would! Another better dressed adult came in and guess where he went?

Now I was way more than annoyed so I said loud enough for everyone in the showroom and offices to hear me. " Is there anyone here that wants to sell me a car"? Out came a guy in a spiffy suit and he could not get me out of the showroom quick enough.

Turned out he was the sales manager and the son-in-law of the owner. So I dealt directly with him and told him I knew what their cost was for the T-Bird I wanted built for me, and I did. He said he would have to talk to Phil the owner. Phil wanted to see me in his office.

So Phil began talking with me about the car and financing. I told him I was going to pay cash so I don't need to hear about interest rates or anything other than him agreeing to my price and writing up the order to build my car. I told him no salesman would even approach me in the showroom and he was not a happy man.

Ordered that T-Bird and from that day on I went directly to Phil. I bought a new 1961 Starliner/a 1962 Galaxy 500 and several more cars from Phil. He also gave me his costs on parts for my race cars and big discounts to my friends that bought any car, new or used, from his company.

Now Rebecca, if you have made it this far? This is a true story to the detail. It's connection to your thread? Don't ignore people because of how they look, or say "who are you"? That day in 1959 is what those salesmen did and it cost one of them a bonus and all of them an buttocks chewing.

THE END!!!

Your Friend,

JOhn

@hckynutjohn

My Friend, John:

Aside from all of the flack you received trying to purchase that wonderful T-Bird with cash in hand, I would hope that the entire dealership learned a huge lesson.

I purchased my latest car in 2007 (not a good year to buy a car, as the price of every car was thousands more than today).  I went into the final dealership with my check-off list, spoke with a salesman, who the proceeded to walk me through all of the models I could afford.  One was chosen, removed from the mix of new cars outside for a wash and all that, then I was sent to "Finance."

Here's where my issue started; and, it wasn't because of my credit score.  It was because I was a female, who was considered worth less than a pair of shoes. Don't anyone ask me to explain, because this will get poofed.

Anyway, after the papers were signed and copies made, this Finance guy simply disappeared.  I mean - gone - so I waited in his office for 30 minutes (that's being patient for me).  After 30 minutes I went looking for him.  Not to be found. (In my business, if you wait 30 minutes, the patient dies.)

So, like you, I stood on the sales floor, raised my voice and asked if I could please have my new car, because M_______ had disappeared.  A few people looked my way.  That was it.  So I gathered up my coach's booming voice and bellowed, "M___ had disappeared and I want my new car, right now.  If no one cares to help me, I will make arrangements to return the car - now!!!  (My salesman had also disappeared.)

Eventually, the Assistant Sales Manager walked over and asked what he could do. Waving my bill of sale documents in front of him said, "I want my car, now.  Mr. M______in Finance left me 30 minutes ago with nothing, etc.  I drove out of there in 5 minutes.

(What really made this more painful was that I decided to give up my 4th Cadillac Brougham for a much more economical car.  Our gas bills are great, but those seats are so bad, I can't make a trip and back to the coast here in Oregon.)

All the best to you and Cindy in the New Year.

~ Rebecca

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I was watching a program on PBS and the person I was watching said that having entered a Hermes Boutique to purchase a Birkin bag, the sales associate told her, "We don't know who you are, so you can't purchase a [Hermes] Birkin bag."

This instance very quickly drew me back to other such instances that didn't turn out well at all for the vendor.

One vendor is allowed to refuse a sale without consequences.  Not so for others.

Kinda makes you think.

What PBS program?

(I came back to add

I just tried Google but only got

Oprah stories.)

Did this happen in the USA, 

@sfnative?

@newziesuzie

This was not a PBS news program, as one might think, hence your inability to find the source.

I very much admire this woman, who made a fantastic career in fashion by way of design and pattern making in NYC.  She has long brown hair (drop dead gorgeous) and has a program I watch once or twice a week on PBS.  (I hesitate to mention her name, but will simply say that she teaches the basics of fashion design, which I love.)  This is a program shown on PBS and produced in one of the 48 contiguous states.  (Wonder why that would be a question, unless my veracity was the issue.)

She has bucks and could very well have purchased the Birkin bag - no problem - except that the store pulled something very illegal on her: denying a purchase due to any reason beyond not having a means to pay for it.

@sfnative

I asked so I could read more about it

or see it because I was interested, I didn't 

have any idea that would be a problem to ask.

Im never sure why the assumption on these

boards is there's a negative intention.🤔  I

dont really understand all of your answer since 

so many of the PBS shows info are available

on line (we watch a lot too!😊) or why you 

wouldn't want to disclose the details (which

you don't have to and that's ok😊)  but 

posters ask questions when threads are 

started and honestly that's all I was doing.

Im not an "ulterior motive" person lol.

thanks for the reply and an interesting thread!

Its all good!

✌✌✌

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Here is the piece "Bagging a Birkin" that aired on NPR a week or so ago:

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/12/25/460870534/episode-672-bagging-a-birkin

Thanks @ValuSkr!

That was interesting!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Trusted Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

Maybe fingerprints devalue them.  LOL 

I wonder if they Sales People have white gloves to wear.  

Trusted Contributor

@CardinalGirl wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I remember seeing an incident about Oprah vacationing and shopping. She asked the saleslady to see the most expensive handbag on the highest shelf. Oprah said the sales woman would not take that down b/c she couldn't possible afford that bag. 

I remember that @febe1,

I think it happened in Paris.

The incident I remember is that the store was already closed and Oprah was mad that they wouldn't open back up for her.  

Edited because I found the story:

(CNN) -- Luxury store Hermes on Wednesday apologized to Oprah Winfrey for turning her away last week, saying that its Paris store was closed to set up for a public relations event when the talk show host stopped by.

"Hermes regrets not having been able to accommodate Ms. Winfrey and her team and to provide her with the service and care that Hermes strives to provide to each and every one of its customers worldwide," the store said in a statement.

"Hermes apologizes for any offense taken due to such circumstances."

The store said the incident occurred on June 14 around 6:45 p.m., about 15 minutes after the store closed. It said Winfrey and her team arrived at a time when "a private PR event was being set up inside."

Harpo Productions spokeswoman Michelle McIntyre said Winfrey "will discuss her 'crash moment' when her show returns from hiatus in September."

"Crash" is a film dealing with race relations. The phrase "crash moment" refers to situations where a party feels discriminated against on the basis of skin color.

The New York Daily News cited sources close to Winfrey as saying the talk show host was first rebuffed by a clerk and then a store manager. The Daily News reported Winfrey had gone to the store to buy a watch for singer Tina Turner, her dining partner that night.

McIntyre confirmed that account for CNN.

The New York Post, in its Monday Page Six gossip column, reported she was turned away because the store had been "having a problem with North Africans lately."

In comments to CNN, an Hermes spokeswoman categorically denied that allegation.

"There was never any discussion of North Africans," she said. "The story is not true."

The spokeswoman said Winfrey came to the store 15 minutes after closing and a security guard informed her the store was closed and gave her a card, telling her she could come back the next day.

Surveillance videotape of the encounter supports the store's account, according to the spokeswoman.

She said the CEO of Hermes has called Winfrey's people to explain "the situation" and invited her to come back to shop in the store.

Winfrey later complained that she did not mean to create a story with the situation.  If that where the case who related this story to the media. Over the years she has fallen in my eyes. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think many of you don't understand the law. Refusing service is legal (remember the signs that say, "No shirt, no shoes, no service"?) as long as it isn't based on race, disability, religion, etc. and the policy must be consistent. 

This is directly from legalzoom:

...So, no matter where you live, you cannot deny service to someone because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin or disability. In some states and cities, you also cannot discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. If there is no state, federal or local law prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations against a particular group of people, then you can legally refuse to serve that group of people.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

That reminds me of Pretty Woman. Very snooty of the sales people or vendors to turn down customers anywhere if you ask me.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles