Honored Contributor

"The Date Which Will Live in Infamy...."

Today, December 7, is the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, "the date which will live in infamy",  as President Frankiln Roosevelt intoned at the time.

A profoundly grateful salute to all those who served to protect, and to the many who died or were maimed doing so....

Honored Contributor

Re: "The Date Which Will Live in Infamy...."

Yes I salute both of my grandfathers that served, one of which came home in a wheelchair. My grandfathers brother is buried at the punchbowl

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

My father and all my uncles served in WW2. One uncle was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and received a medal. He has never talked about it, even though he's my last uncle left alive, at 94. I saw a disturbing report about young people visiting Pearl Harbor and not knowing when the war was fought, against whom, why, and who won. Those who are ignorant of history are condemned to repeat it.

Honored Contributor

I respect and honor those who served. I am a result of the consequences that resulted from this event. Born in Japan on usarmy ground post-war. I have mixed feelings about this terrible event. When my Japanese mother moved states-side with my American  father, she lived in fear of being "camped" even long after the war had ended. She would often talk about some things that happened to her as a child over there after that day in the Pacific. They were some of the things that made her they way she was. 

Trusted Contributor

My Dad was a Marine and served in the Pacific.  He was at Iwo Jima. Okinawa, Guam etc.

We were so very lucky he returned with no injuries.

I can still remember that Sunday---while I didn't understand what was happening I knew it was not good news seeing my Mom & Dad, Aunts etc. faces.

I remember my Daddy going away, my Mom crying during the night, rationing on food and clothing, and air raid drills.

Jamma

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My father and all my uncles served in WW2. One uncle was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and received a medal. He has never talked about it, even though he's my last uncle left alive, at 94. I saw a disturbing report about young people visiting Pearl Harbor and not knowing when the war was fought, against whom, why, and who won. Those who are ignorant of history are condemned to repeat it.

I don't know if they don't teach this stuff anymore or the kids just don't listen, but there have been many reports on the internet where people on college campuses are asked basic questions like What country did the USA fight for independance from in theRevolutionary war? , or When was the battle of Pearl Harbor? , or who did we oppose in Viet Nam? or just as simple as What is the name of the president of the USA? and they did not know the answers.Yes, kids now a days are great at using computers but they don't seem to be able to use their best computer of all - the one in their head. 

When I was in nursing school we had to recite to our instructor on demand  all our patient's drugs and all the uses, doses and side effects of each drug. Now student nurses are allowed to look it up on their phone and read it to the instructor. We had to know all our patients diagnoses and be ready to recite everything about that diagnosis to our instructor when asked - now they simply show the instructor that they know where to look it up.So in the middle of an emergency what are they doing - they are on the computer looking stuff up.

Honored Contributor

Well that didn't take long.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

All through my growing up years , my mother recounted the horror she felt, about the attack, every Dec .7

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Well that didn't take long.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No kidding.

Who would have thought a thread about Pearl Harbor would turn into yet another tired bash against young people.

Pharmacology 40 years ago bears no resemblance to what it is today.

My father and his brothers all served during WW2. My dad was in the Pacific. He was on a train bound for the East coast where he was scheduled to go to the European theater on December 7. When the attack happened, the train went to the West coast instead. The soldiers on board didn't know about the attack until they boarded the ship to take them to Hawaii.  

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor

We just happened to be over there 5 years ago which was the 70th anniversary. Our hotel room faced Diamond  Head, from there we could see the submarines and hug ships coming in for the celebration. We also went over to Pearl Harbor. We went through the battle ship Missouri. We talk to the tour guild who happened to be 91 and was one of the original  sailors. It was an experience we will never forget.