Esteemed Contributor

Re: "The Date Which Will Live in Infamy...."

I do not criticize young people but rather our educational system for a poor transmission of important information about our history. One day, when I was discussing Susan B Anthony and the other founders of the US women's movement, my granddaughter, an honors student, confessed she had never heard of her. She said, "Nana, I went to school in Florida. I learned nothing." I suspect the same could be said for all the other states.

Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree with you. It isn't the young people who are not smart and don't want to learn. It is the educational system. What are some of the teachers teaching them? But then again we don't value teachers either. The amount they make in a lot of cases is offensive. They not only have to teach math, science etc. They also have to teach morals, values, common sense, stodgy habits and deal with some clueless,frustrating parents.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Never forget.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

I totally agree with you. It isn't the young people who are not smart and don't want to learn. It is the educational system. What are some of the teachers teaching them? But then again we don't value teachers either. The amount they make in a lot of cases is offensive. They not only have to teach math, science etc. They also have to teach morals, values, common sense, stodgy habits and deal with some clueless,frustrating parents.

I feel the parent are just plain LAZY. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

IMO we never learn anything from history. What we get from being taught history is a lesson of how we never learned from history. My point is why teach history at all?

Esteemed Contributor

I think why people under the age of fourty don't remember what happened on this date seventy -five years ago, is because they don't have an emotional attachment to the date.

Pearl Harbor was something that their grandfather, or great-grandfather, or great-uncle was in.

It's just "ancient history" to them.

Just like we today still don't wring our hands in agony over ancestors who fought in the Civil war, today's generation doesn't feel the same as the generation who remember exactly what happened on December 7.

And one day, many decades from now, 9/11, will just be a date on a calendar, for the same reason.

The further away we get from a significant date, the less "emotional sting" it has.

It just prooves that time moves on.

Honored Contributor

Plaid Pants2, (I absolutely LOVE your name, by the way) that's an interesting perspective, but I have a bit of a different way of looking at it.

If history "lives" for you, I don't believe you need to have a personal connection to the event to or time period for it to resonate.  As fas as I know, no one in my family was enslaved, but people like William Wilberforce and others who led the lonely fight in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries to try to abolish the practise, are intesely interesting to me, and I want to know about them.  I'm not Armenian, but  the hideous genocide inflicted on them (was it around 1918?  My grasp of dates is terrible...), captures my attention.  You don't have to be Russian or a Stalinist (far from it!) to want to know everything and to feel for those who endured the purges...

History isn't even one of my better subjects, but to me it is of paramount importance in understanding so many things.  Hoping there will be a revival of concentration on it in all educational curricula in the near future! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Today, December 7, is the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, "the date which will live in infamy",  as President Frankiln Roosevelt intoned at the time.

A profoundly grateful salute to all those who served to protect, and to the many who died or were maimed doing so....

@Oznell thank you for starting this thread. 

Honored Contributor

Actually, it's "A date which will live in infamy."  NOT being snarky, just factual Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

One of my Uncles was on a ship at Pearl Harbor, his ship exploded and he was knocked into the water. He remembers the planes straffing them as they tried to swim to shore. He was shot but not killed , however, that was the end of the war for him - he came home to Pittsburgh and built ships instead. He suffered terrible PTSD and was in & out of the hospital a lot for many years.