Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Jeopardy" Contestant Matt Jackson

The only thing is I wish he'd do differently is to let Alex finish his sentence before choosing the next category. I wonder if he's nervous or if he's just that much ahead in his thinking. Either way, it happens a lot so he should try to slow down just a tad. Alex doesn't seem to mind though. He seems to be enjoying him too. 

Respected Contributor

I never miss Jeopardy and I am fascinated with the current champion.

I think it is pretty obvious that there is some sort of issue. IMO, he smiles the way that he does because he was "taught" to smile....it is not a natural response for him. He has trouble reading social cues and his eyes are emotionless.....which gives him a scary affect. 

I would not be surprised to learn that he is suffering from Savant Syndrome and is the product of a very enlightened , intelligent and devoted family who focused on his memory skills.

Valued Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

My father was a contestant in 1965.  He was a 3 day champ.  I cannot swear to it, but I thought back then only the champ received his/her winnings. (which was why many contestants bet everything in final jeopardy) Second and third place received consolations prizes. (I know one was the "home version" of Jeopardy)

@lulu2 lulu ~ i am in awe that your Dad was champ on Jeopardy! And i think you're correct about the winnings/prizes back in those days. I remember the BellTone Hearing Aid commercials and slipping it through a wedding ring! LoL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

Sometimes it takes me a little while to warm up to a new champ.  Then, I tend to want to see them keep winning.  Yes, Colby and Arthur were two exceptions, but even if I don't like their personalities, I do respect their intelligence.

Honored Contributor

Arthur Chu is my all time favorite champion. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Arthur Chu is my all time favorite champion. 

You are aware he's not a dog, right? Smiley Wink

Lol, so sorry OR, I couldn't resist! Remember the Heart I sent to you in the Big Brother thread? Well, here's another one. Heart

PS I like Arthur too. I especially like the way he spoke so highly of his mom and gave her credit for his interest in learning. He seems like a nice guy.

Esteemed Contributor

Oops! Now that I've thought about it I might be mixing up the smart guys. Could it have been Colby that praised his mom during the interview rather than Arthur? It seems to me that whoever it was mentioned his grandmother as well.

I hope someone with a better memory than me will ring in. Here it is Jeopardy style ~

A: The Jeopardy champion who spoke so highly of his mom during the interview segment with Alex.

Q: Who is _______________?

Please help! 

Honored Contributor

I am aware that AC is not a dog, I know he's polite and reserved. 

While I don't care for most people, the ones I do care for are exceptional, unique, and deserve admiration. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danky wrote:

I never miss Jeopardy and I am fascinated with the current champion.

I think it is pretty obvious that there is some sort of issue. IMO, he smiles the way that he does because he was "taught" to smile....it is not a natural response for him. He has trouble reading social cues and his eyes are emotionless.....which gives him a scary affect. 

I would not be surprised to learn that he is suffering from Savant Syndrome and is the product of a very enlightened , intelligent and devoted family who focused on his memory skills.

@Danky ~~ Perhaps like Kim Peek, who was a "megasavant.  "Laurence Kim Peek was an American savant. Known as a "megasavant", he had an exceptional memory, but he also experienced social difficulties, possibly resulting from a developmental disability related to congenital brain abnormalities. He was the inspiration for the character of Raymond Babbitt, in the movie Rain Man."

I met Mr. Peek at a conference for the gifted I attended many years ago and was amazed at his exceptional abilities.  When asked questions from the audience he could reply with the correct response in mega-seconds.  Questions came from people attending the conference who asked them off the cuff on a wide variety of topics such as music, math and geography, etc.  Amazing.  His father was with him and told us he could read a book quickly by reading the left page with one side of the brain and the right page with the other side of the brain.  Not only that but he could comprehend and discuss the book in full after he read it.   

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

We used to be a society that cheered for the gifted....when did it all change that we no longer root for those folks hoping they lose to the underdogs?

I have a cousin who has a photographic memory and super intelliengent.... but socially inept....his brilliance often was perceived as smugness...he was the least smug person I ever knew.  

Good comment!  

It is strange that some peopletend to want to see a man who is demonstrating excellence fail.

I like to watch Jeopardy to pit myself against the winner. I happen to have a brain full of trivia too and I admire those who can find the answers under that much pressure.

I say, "keep going, Matt!" 

~Enough is enough~