Respected Contributor

••• "Blackfish" Documentary •••

We're back from a 4th of July picnic and decided to
watch the documentary film "Blackfish".

("Blackfish is a 2013 documentary directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite. The film premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2013, and was picked up by Magnolia Pictures and CNN Films for wider release.

Blackfish focuses on Tilikum, an orca held by SeaWorld and the controversy over captive killer whales." --Wikipedia)

It made me sad.

I hope we figure out a better way to give better care to these
beautiful creatures. I don't think they should be in
captivity.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Re: ••• "Blackfish" Documentary •••

I think the documentry, which we discussed here, made an impact on Seaworld. I've been seeing commercials here where they say say they love their Orcas and treat them well. They say it's been 30 years since they took one from the wild. I think Blackfish really hurt their bottom line.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I watched that when it first came out. It was so hard to watch. Once was enough for me. I cried for days after watching that. If I thought about that movie for a day or two or even a week after I watched it, I would start bawling my eyes out.

Yes, SeaWorld is suffering and that stupid commercial drives me crazy. I hate that they use the word collect instead of capture. Did they really think using the word collect would make us feel differently? Many performers have boycotting performing there.

It is hard for me to believe that if anyone has watched BlackFish that they would still want to spend their money there. I can't imagine anyone wanting to go there for entertainment.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

I thought it was a very powerful film. Shows the dangers to the animals AND the humans.
Personally, I really dislike seeing large animals, especially hunters, confined to such small spaces. It would be like having to live in a closet. That alone wouldn't physically do you in, but it sure wouldn't be healthy physically or mentally.
Esteemed Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

We're back from a 4th of July picnic and decided to
watch the documentary film "Blackfish".

("Blackfish is a 2013 documentary directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite. The film premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2013, and was picked up by Magnolia Pictures and CNN Films for wider release.

Blackfish focuses on Tilikum, an orca held by SeaWorld and the controversy over captive killer whales." --Wikipedia)

It made me sad.

I hope we figure out a better way to give better care to these
beautiful creatures. I don't think they should be in
captivity.

What do you propose that we do with the whales that were born in captivity, raised in captivity, and Sea World is the only home that they know, and have ever known? It's not like you can realease them back to any old pod. They are use to humans feeding them. So what's the answer?

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it was an excellent documentary.  I am glad I watched it.  I don't believe animals should be used for entertainment.  Whenever any living thing is used as a commodity, I don't believe for a minute that it will be treated in a humane manner. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Karena wrote:

Yes, it was an excellent documentary.  I am glad I watched it.  I don't believe animals should be used for entertainment.  Whenever any living thing is used as a commodity, I don't believe for a minute that it will be treated in a humane manner. 

So, not one single person who works with animals ever treats them humanely? 

Super Contributor

I thought it would be too sad.  I knew I would sit and cry for two hours, and I didn't want to do that.  I'm sure it's very educational, but I know how I feel about these animals at Sea World in captivity, and I don't like it.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Honored Contributor

The film made me cry, too.

So much of it was heartbreaking, but particularly the separation of the mother and baby orca... the palpable grief of the mother and we can guess her baby suffered the same pain.

The segment is available on YouTube, but it's unsettling and heartwrenching so I won't post a link here.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I watched it, and agree once was enough.

the tanks are so tiny and hearing the baby cry for it's mother did me in.