Respected Contributor

If one buys a fitbit do you  have to sign up and link to phone or computer in order to just track steps?

I don't want to record my progress. Or monitor anything else.

Trusted Contributor

To be able to read your steps you need no link to phone or computer. You can see the stat like steps right on the wrist screen. Only if you want a log or some kind of record keeping or graphing do you need an app  to link the data with the metrics and graphics. 

You can buy a Fitbit and read your activity data on its screen and be happy without any "connections". 

Hope that helps. 

Honored Contributor

There are lots of different Fitbit products so I think it depends which one you've been gifted.  

one of mine gives a lot of data on the screen.  The other one, not so much.  

Respected Contributor

Re: question about fitbit

[ Edited ]

Oh, yes gizmo it does!

I had a garmin and didn't wear it as it was uncomfortable. I ended up giving it away. I had to go through hoops with the company to get them to delete the info from my acct. I had to close my acct and was told I could not have another. 

There was something about the whole process that made me very uneasy.

I will buy a fitbit if I don't have to sign up or link to anything.

How, then, do I get the thing to "start"?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Henny, which model do you have?   I have the One and the Charge 2.   There are others, and I think one of them (it's a wrist device) doesn't need to be linked to an online account. 

ETA:  I see you haven't bought one yet.  To find out more about their newest products...maybe go to the website help page.  Sorry..I have two products but do use the apps. 

Trusted Contributor
"How, then, do I get the thing to "start"?"

Go to the Fitbit website. Find instructions and descriptions for various models. There is a setup sheet that is included with the product. It teaches you how to open the product and make it work and customize your own settings. Your questions are legitimate but you need more education. Fitbits work independently of software but are set up after purchase to suit the user. And yes, different models gave different features. You may have to register your product for warranty purposes, but not be obligated to retain your data anywhere out of your control. Know before you go.
Respected Contributor

Thanks giz and September.

I really do have a lot to learn here!

I just found the dealing with garmin to be unsettling and didn't want to go through it again.

there is a new fit bit that is smaller and I thought might be more comfortable. I just didn't want a repeat experience.

I will go to the website and read up on them.

Any other advice is always welcome. I am not very up on techie things.

Frequent Contributor

Ok, so you can use a Fitbit device without an account. You can manually see steps, heart rate, etc on the screen during the day. However, you do need an account to set up your device and to receive future software updates. I have the Charge2, and to be able to customize the display you need the app. Its been a while since I created an account with Fitbit (I've been a customer for a few years now) so I can't say how much information they require to make an account. So, I know it's not what you wanted to hear, I just can't think of any other way it can be done.

Valued Contributor

I don't know if you have an iphone or not.  If you do, it keeps track of your steps with the Health Icon.  You don't need to have an account or log in - just open the icon.

The only thing is you need to carry it with you all day to record your steps. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends on what type of Fitbit you have.

I bought the Fitbit Flex 2 and you have to sign up for the app in order to see your progress.  There is no wrist screen.  The only instructions that came with the Flex 2 was to download the app.  The app and the wrist device sync together and that is where you see all your progress.

I'm sure there are others just like it out there.