Respected Contributor

Re: o/t Anyone here work as a CNA (certified nurse assistant)?

I was a CNA in High School and College before I became an RN. It is a very rewarding job but a difficult one. The work is heavy and dirty. I would suggest that you become an RN if you can preferably with a BSN Degree, you will make a lot more money and have a lot more job security and the satisfaction of being a quality care provider.

Super Contributor

On 4/7/2015 betteb said:
On 4/7/2015 Colonel Meow said:

I agree with the above posters who stated that being a CNA is a hard, undervalued, and low paid occupation. (And keep in mind that they truly do all the grunt work.) I'm not a CNA, but I work with many at my hospital. Very few are happy with their jobs, and most of them are doing CNA work while pursuing their LPN or RN. If this is the eventual track you hope to take, then being a CNA in the meantime may not be a bad decision. But I wouldn't recommend it as a stand alone career goal.

Yep, you've got it right. In my state, the only place CNA's can work is a nursing home and maybe a very few in certain areas of a hospital.

I did it for a few years when I was in my 20's. I moved on to CMA (Certified Medication Aide) and passed meds in nursing homes. Not all states use CMA's and in my state they are used only in nursing homes.

I went on from that to Dialysis Technician and worked in an outpatient hemodialysis unit for 8 years. I loved that job, but grew very tired of the personalities you have to deal with in the medical field in general, so be prepared to work with some of the best, but mostly the worst people you will ever know in your life.

betteb's career trajectory sounds like so many others who got their starts as CNAs. I can't think of many who didn't eventually leave (or plan to) for other healthcare positions after they receive additional certifications or licensure.

Trusted Contributor

$12-14 an hour. Taking vital signs. Assisting patients to the bathroom. Changing the incontinent patients. Dealing with confused, combative patients. Listening to call bells going off while the RNs pretend to be deaf. If you want to go on to nursing school, and you can find a facility that will pay your tuition- that's the best way to work as a CNA. Otherwise, it's a back breaking, dirty job. You'll work holidays, and will constantly be pestered for overtime. For the same money, I would drive a school bus, or access van.
Super Contributor

On 4/7/2015 lacey1 said: $12-14 an hour. Taking vital signs. Assisting patients to the bathroom. Changing the incontinent patients. Dealing with confused, combative patients. Listening to call bells going off while the RNs pretend to be deaf. If you want to go on to nursing school, and you can find a facility that will pay your tuition- that's the best way to work as a CNA. Otherwise, it's a back breaking, dirty job. You'll work holidays, and will constantly be pestered for overtime. For the same money, I would drive a school bus, or access van.

You sound like you speak from experience, lacey1! Hopefully you moved on to a more rewarding occupation?

Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2015 lacey1 said: $12-14 an hour. Taking vital signs. Assisting patients to the bathroom. Changing the incontinent patients. Dealing with confused, combative patients. Listening to call bells going off while the RNs pretend to be deaf. If you want to go on to nursing school, and you can find a facility that will pay your tuition- that's the best way to work as a CNA. Otherwise, it's a back breaking, dirty job. You'll work holidays, and will constantly be pestered for overtime. For the same money, I would drive a school bus, or access van.

Wow, I hope you are no longer a CNA.

Hyacinth, RN

Super Contributor

This is all true and it is very difficult to find this "lowest on the rung" job rewarding. If considered a stepping stone to a better job (or life) then do it. This CNA designation used to be called "nurses aid". Anyone remember?

Honored Contributor

They make 8-11 here.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/7/2015 conlt said:

I was a CNA in High School and College before I became an RN. It is a very rewarding job but a difficult one. The work is heavy and dirty. I would suggest that you become an RN if you can preferably with a BSN Degree, you will make a lot more money and have a lot more job security and the satisfaction of being a quality care provider.

I also was a CNA at a nursing home in high school and my first summer home from college. I worked the 3-11 shift. It wasn't too bad, but it was back breaking. All the residents want to go to bed as soon as dinner is over -- which you feed them and some spit back all over you. Then you have to turn each resident every 2 hours and change diapers/beds.

It was better than the 7AM - 3PM shift because that's when they gave baths. You have to work a hoyer lift for lots of residents and it isn't easy -- very hard on the back.

You're often understaffed and it's hard to juggle all your residents and figure out how to get them all serviced in the time you have. On the good side, your shift flies by. You can also make a difference and do nice things for some of the residents as time permits.

Lots of residents have dementia and as such do nutty things. Some are violent and very destructive. Think of really bad things they can do to you that you have to clean up.

This all applies to working in a nursing home. Since I was only doing it for short periods of time (over a summer), I didn't get burned out like lots of other CNAs. And, I really did try to make a difference for the residents I worked with and do extra nice things for them and treat them with love and respect.

I've also spent more than my fair share of time in the hospital as a patient and CNAs are definitely overworked in that environment. I don't know how they do it.

If you do look at being a CNA, I'd focus on private duty. Maybe home care where you are responsible for one person. Mainly cooking/cleaning and helping them to the restroom. Bathing them and keeping them company. There's a poster here named Judge Judith who does that kind of work I do believe and she'd be very helpful.

Respected Contributor

Well one thing for certain is that you will not get rich working as a CNA. It is hard work with long hours and requires working over weekends and holidays. But it also provides a relatively stable job with fairly decent benefits.

And while there are downsides and depending on why you think you might want to do this type of work, it also has great potential. Because on the other side of the coin, you have the opportunity to make a really bad day for someone else a lot better. You also have the opportunity to provide quality care to someone that is sick and scared, reassure scared family members, and make a positive difference in today's healthcare arena.

Good CNAs are certainly in demand and are sorely needed in healthcare today. So if you are interested in hard work but really care about making a difference I would certainly encourage you to pursue those options.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Regular Contributor

Well, there's one good thing about this new forum. I found this old post I'd lost somehow in the old format! I'm the original poster and want to thank you all very sincerely for your extremely kind and helpful replies!!!

Since my original post, I took my state certification test and am now a certified nursing assistant. I interviewed and was offered a position at a couple of skilled nursing facilities. However, after further discovery about the working environments, I decided against taking the positions I was offered.

For instance, at one of the companies which was considered one of the "good" places, they don't even supply the CNA's wth gloves! The family members are responsible for that, so the CNA's are left in the position of trying to get their essential gloves from the often-absent family. Just not acceptable!! 

So, at age 50, I've decided that the previously known cons are now combined with the new eye-opening things and have tipped the scale to a "no" on this being a new part-time second career for me. I'm glad I took the class, but now I need to figure out something else to do! Smiley Happy Thanks again, all!! You have helped me feel much better about my decision, truly!! <3