Honored Contributor

Re: no Chanel for Streep/Oscars

I don't need to be told how to think ,or what to think. I can figure that out all by myself

If they were up there spouting religous opinions, I doubt that it would get the same stamp of approval

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think MS is an amazing actor, and has numerous accolades to indicate that more than a few people agree with that. Here is where the (probably) unpopular opinion comes in: I rarely think she looks great in/at an awards show. She is attractive but not a great beauty, and always looks a bit frumpy to me. There are many other women who aren't as pretty as she is, but let the hair, MU, and gown people help them to look like a million bucks. I think Meryl must turn them down and takes a DIY approach.

P.S. I don't care what anyone says; I watch for the gowns and to see if my faves win.

Esteemed Contributor

Could imagine if say they said the Lord's Prayer, the upheaval? Oh wait that happened.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I'll add comments on 2 more issues that came up on the thread...  I'm happy to hear what anyone on the awards stage has to say, and I don't have to agree with them to feel fine that they can express their views.   They're not forcing me to change my mind, and I don't feel threatened by hearing opposing perspectives.   However, I think the shows are far too long and I usually lose interest for that reason alone.   

The other issue is "old Hollywood."   I think we tend to glamorize and romanticize it in our minds.    I've read about the old days of the entertainment industry and all the celebrities, and I've seen documentaries.   I don't believe for a minute that it was different from or better than today's Hollywood -- except for the fact that now it's harder to hide secrets and also the gossip mill is far more active and accessible today.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

cherry wrote:

I don't need to be told how to think ,or what to think. I can figure that out all by myself

If they were up there spouting religous opinions, I doubt that it would get the same stamp of approval

Again, they're not telling us how to think.   They're simply expressing their views.   Regarding religion, I regularly hear award recipients thank their Higher Power or make related remarks, and I never see complaints on the forums about that.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I have always thought how wonderful it would be if they would just come to the awards in their everyday casual wear for going to a Friday night dinner.  Took all the money they saved from NOT having the first facial/mani/pedi ect....  plus all the apparel and accessories and donated to the charity or cause of their choice.   Then just go home.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Again, they're not telling us how to think.   They're simply expressing their views.   Regarding religion, I regularly hear award recipients thank their Higher Power or make related remarks, and I never see complaints on the forums about that.

If she expressed her views on say Twitter, no matter what one would care. An award show for acting of all things if seems phony. Also it is easy to say who cares when it is your side who gets the free speech. There is no free speech in Hollywood. Unless you are a huge money maker then they zip it. It is also rude. Hey come watch our party and oh yeah we are going to slam you. What fun. I really have tuned out to Hollywood as their opinion lost. We won it ALL.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

beckyb1012 wrote:

I have always thought how wonderful it would be if they would just come to the awards in their everyday casual wear for going to a Friday night dinner.  Took all the money they saved from NOT having the first facial/mani/pedi ect....  plus all the apparel and accessories and donated to the charity or cause of their choice.   Then just go home.

@beckyb1012, That's a great idea and @ms traditional said something similar.   However, the fact remains that the awards ceremonies generate jobs and paychecks for many, many more people than just the "talent" we see on the screen.    I'm sort of "awards-show weary," now that there are so many of them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i wonder how we jumped from whether actors are paid to wear clothes -   to current tilt of discussion.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012, That's a great idea and @ms traditional said something similar.   However, the fact remains that the awards ceremonies generate jobs and paychecks for many, many more people than just the "talent" we see on the screen.    I'm sort of "awards-show weary," now that there are so many of them.

I had not thought about it being a job creator that many families depend on.  Good point.  Woman Wink

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."