Respected Contributor

Re: no Chanel for Streep/Oscars

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

"It's hardly a "dialogue" when one is espousing their opinions on TV, with no chance for a rebuttal."

May I suggest you check the site called "Twitter?" How about news conferences, rallies, news outlets, statements in general, etc.? To say there's no chance fro rebuttal is more than misleading, its just not true. There is plenty of chance for rebuttal on both sides.

ITA. I was just going to say, actors have the platform because "we" created that for them by adoring them for their celebrity! The day you or I become famous and are "adored" in the same way and have our own platform, we can utilize that platform to our advantage. .... but we still have our own platform, just in a different manner, different outlets.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Thats why we are constanlty bombarded by people who shove their views down everyone throat

I remember when the Oscars was just about making movies , and when it stopped being that, I stopped watching

Fear and ignorance are a dangerous thing. Why should they not have the right like everyone else to voice their pov? 

Maybe because as the saying goes "there's a time and a place." I don't tune in to an Awards show to be lectured on some actor's political viewpoint. Maybe a different venue would be more appropriate....and that goes for whatever side of the political aisle an actor is from.

I understand your point @Trinity11 but the award shows traditionally are where the world tunes in and so they have been historically political at times regardless if we agree or not.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Maybe you like to be  indoctrinated everytime you ttry to watch an award show, I don't

I don't shove my politcal views on anyone, and no one knows what they are

when i listen to ANYONE on any platform it doesnt mean they are trying to indoctrinate me nor am i that easily swayed.

you certainly have the right to keep your political views to yourself, but not everyone feels that way and they have the right to talk about passionate views. i dont blame them at all.

@sunshine45    @cherry

I think that "indoctrinated" comment is just plain bizarre ....  and rather worrisome.  It shows a person who is afraid of other points of view.  They might actually be forced to THINK.   Horrors!

An actor wins the highest award in their industry and has about 40 seconds to say whatever they want ....  thank yous, comments, acknowledgements.   So what?   It's their 40 seconds to do with as they please.   Good for them and their achievements.

Personally, I find it interesting to see how they "spend" their 40 seconds.    I won't run away screaming because someone says something I might disagree with.  JMO

Honored Contributor

Music will drown them out according to GMA and Robin Roberts this morning.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with someone else, she is highly overrated. I liked Devil wears Prada but other than that not a fan of hers. I can think of 20 actresses that are more talented. In the end she doesn't really come up on my radar all that much. I mean when your view gets more press than your latest movie that's not good. IMO only.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

wow.  according to this in Women's Wear Daily, Meryl Streep ordered a dress with adjustments from Karl Lagerfeld, then told them to stop making it.  she found someone who would pay her to wear their dress. i had no idea that not only is the dress pretty much done for free for glitterati, but they can be paid on top of it.  Streep's rep refutes. i'd like to know how this business operates now.  not sure whom to believe.

http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/karl-lagerfeld-chanel-meryl-streep-passed-on-oscar-dress-...

@ms traditional

Two things I haven't seen mentioned here ......

Karl Lagerfeld is an extremely difficult person to deal with, so who knows what really happened. 

Secondly, there are many dresses a woman might like, but it doesn't mean they'll look good on her!    I'm guessing that a woman with a pale complexion and blond hair would NOT look all that great in gray!  Ugh!   It's possible that someone told Meryl she would be criticized for such a bad color choice.  

Again ..... who REALLY knows what happened?

Esteemed Contributor

So over these HollyWEIRD "celebrities" and their self-righteous, sanctimonious diatribes, where they stand and tell the rest of the US how to think and feel. Sit down and shut up.  Woman LOL

Haven't watched the Oscars in MANY years and won't start now.

They make me sick. LOL. For a classy acceptance speech, watch Vivien Leigh accept her Oscar for GWTW, it's on youtube. Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

wow.  according to this in Women's Wear Daily, Meryl Streep ordered a dress with adjustments from Karl Lagerfeld, then told them to stop making it.  she found someone who would pay her to wear their dress. i had no idea that not only is the dress pretty much done for free for glitterati, but they can be paid on top of it.  Streep's rep refutes. i'd like to know how this business operates now.  not sure whom to believe.

http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/karl-lagerfeld-chanel-meryl-streep-passed-on-oscar-dress-...

@ms traditional

Two things I haven't seen mentioned here ......

Karl Lagerfeld is an extremely difficult person to deal with, so who knows what really happened. 

Secondly, there are many dresses a woman might like, but it doesn't mean they'll look good on her!    I'm guessing that a woman with a pale complexion and blond hair would NOT look all that great in gray!  Ugh!   It's possible that someone told Meryl she would be criticized for such a bad color choice.  

Again ..... who REALLY knows what happened?

like i said:  he said, she said.  but my point was totally different!

Honored Contributor

A bit before my time but I do miss Old Hollywood.

Camille Paglia on Oscar Glamour Then and Now: "Grandeur of Old Hollywood Is Gone" (Guest Column)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
QVC Customer Care