Honored Contributor

Re: no Chanel for Streep/Oscars

Maybe you like to be  indoctrinated everytime you ttry to watch an award show, I don't

I don't shove my politcal views on anyone, and no one knows what they are

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Maybe you like to be  indoctrinated everytime you ttry to watch an award show, I don't

when i listen to ANYONE on any platform it doesnt mean they are trying to indoctrinate me nor am i that easily swayed.

you certainly have the right to keep your political views to yourself, but not everyone feels that way and they have the right to talk about passionate views. i dont blame them at all.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

cherry wrote:

It might be that we've mistakenly come to think of free expression of our perspectives as indoctrination attempts or "shoving down our throats" instead of welcoming all ideas and really listening and hearing everyone.    I think part of the problem is that we've gravitated toward ridiculing, mocking, and insulting others who have different views, instead of actually having civil and respectful discussions.   We should be able to walk away from a discussion with everyone's dignity intact...  and we shouldn't feel the need to personally denigrate and malign others when we present our own opinions.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Thats why we are constanlty bombarded by people who shove their views down everyone throat

I remember when the Oscars was just about making movies , and when it stopped being that, I stopped watching

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I think both sides should give it a rest. I'm sick to death of the whole thing

sick to death of what whole thing?

give it a rest?.......that is  scarier than encouraging the dialogue and free exchange of ideas.

@sunshine45 I agree with you 100%

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Thats why we are constanlty bombarded by people who shove their views down everyone throat

I remember when the Oscars was just about making movies , and when it stopped being that, I stopped watching

Many people have presented their views during the Oscars, for quite some time. Marlon Brando in 1973, anyone?

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Fear and ignorance are a dangerous thing. Why should they not have the right like everyone else to voice their pov? 

Esteemed Contributor

A little off topic but anyways....take the Super Bowl. A lot of us were dismayed to hear Lady Gaga was performing half time show. Not for her talent but for the fear we were going to get her views shoved down our throat. However she was wonderful. In the beginning she was patrioc with a uniting feel in her words then she just put on a great show. How nice for all of us. She was kind and that made me feel soften to her views. I won't agree with her but I won't trash her. Meryl would do a great thing if she followed that attitude for the Oscars. Time and place in my opinion. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Best show was when David Niven was on the stage think he was being a presenter and here comes the naked streaker.

Nowdays, we wouldn't bat an eyelash. Back then, that was heady stuff.

201629125482.gif

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

wow.  according to this in Women's Wear Daily, Meryl Streep ordered a dress with adjustments from Karl Lagerfeld, then told them to stop making it.  she found someone who would pay her to wear their dress. i had no idea that not only is the dress pretty much done for free for glitterati, but they can be paid on top of it.  Streep's rep refutes. i'd like to know how this business operates now.  not sure whom to believe.

http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/karl-lagerfeld-chanel-meryl-streep-passed-on-oscar-dress-...

actually -  as you can see the original post (mine)  indicates, it was about the possibility of celebs being paid to model dresses.  i knew they were probably gifted the dress. there is dispute - we don't know who is in the right: he said,she said.  i'm kind of thinking that the surfeit of award shows with swag bags, free dresses/shoes, etc is already getting a little over the top, benefitting those who are already well paid for the most part.   better we turn this whole thing over to charity and get the money out of it.  just to clarify.