Honored Contributor

Re: Sincere Appreciation and Thanks to Moderators

Are the ones thanking the moderators doing all the reporting?

Honored Contributor

There are so many sensitive people that can't take any thoughts that don't agree with theirs.I think they should just avoid what bothers them...don't read it and leave the people who are enjoying the topic to themselves.I think maybe these sensitive people also have control issues and so they like to hit the report button.I am not judging because I believe in live and let live.I don't like some topics so I just avoid those and get involved with the topics I enjoy.Freedom of speech is important to me.

Esteemed Contributor

lD2...Well said, my sentiments exactly.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

This positive message was sent out to the moderators.  Buf, of course, you can't say something positive around here.  What a disappointment.

@sparklestar,  When you  start  a thread you have to know others are going to post on it too.  Some will agree with you, some won't.  We just have to learn to get over it.  I enjoy  reading the different opinions as long as they don't become personal attacks on each other.

Respected Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

This positive message was sent out to the moderators.  Buf, of course, you can't say something positive around here.  What a disappointment.

@sparklestar,  When you  start  a thread you have to know others are going to post on it too.  Some will agree with you, some won't.  We just have to learn to get over it.  I enjoy  reading the different opinions as long as they don't become personal attacks on each other.

I've been posting her a while so I know how it works.  I don't care either way who agrees or not.  I was just thanking the moderators ... not asking for opinions.  I don't take it personal.  What I don't like is when things go in the opposite direction intended.  So be it.  As long as they know I appreciate them.  Have lovely day.

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Are the ones thanking the moderators doing all the reporting?

An EXCELLENT question.

FOR THE RECORD, I have never ONCE in my posting history EVER used the inappropriate button, nor did I ever block a poster when that feature was available, nor have I ever changed, nor was obliged to change, my nic.

If there actually IS a connection between receiving an "inappropriate" from another poster and having a post removed, it would be my guess that most if not all potential posts would be gone after being read by a single person or very few people.

Some of the silliest, snarkiness, most valueless posts I've ever read here have gone on and on and on, and some interesting multi perspective posts have been snuffed so quickly that I remember thinking to myself "I'm glad I read this, because that one's GOING DOWN!"

It is ABSOLUTELY clear that there are some posters who DO NOT, and probably intellectually CANNOT honor anyone thinking any thought different from his or her own, and so go into attack mode when a post contrary to his or her opinion appears.

Are there posters here relieving their stresses by blathering out what I consider absolute

nonsense, frequently using second or 3rd direction NEW NICS (having been banned previously while using their original nics perhaps?????) YOU BET!

QVC board, QVC's rules, QVC's call. Like it or leave. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I think the moderators overdo it.  I personally do not enjoy reading a thread and find "removed because unkind" or other such.  I can understand they don't want you advertising for competitors on this forum but those seem to stay.  I think there is a small group who are constantly clicking the "inappropriate" button and trying the control the forum and they are doing a good job of having their way.

I'll add that I suspect that those that go and "whine' by hitting that inappropriate button are the orchestrator's in most threads, baiting people, pushing right to the limit, looking to create a ruckus, then push the button to get others spanked, or have it closed or even removed.

It isn't always the OP, but there are a circle of people on here who make it a point to swoop in, as a group oftentimes, and be quite brutal. Many times, their posts, which initiate name calling and degrading others point of view are left standing, but those defending themselves or answering their demeaning and rude comments are removed.

They kind of see it as a sport, and in my opinion, they were the 'mean girls' in junior high, and haven't come very far from that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio, and I've noticed that they lurk until the thread is well underway and then come en force, ultimately forcing the thread to be closed. I also think that one inappropriate flag to the mods isn't likely to get a post poofed.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think the whole point of a board like this is to express opinions and communicate with each other.  We are supposed to follow board rules but we don't have to limit ourselves to subjects that every single person on the board will find sweet and pleasant.  How boring would that be?  Posters should never censor themselves.  I don't care for "spoiler"  or "sensitive" in the heading.  You only need to read a sentence or two of any post to get the gist of it.  Don't like what you read, stop.   If there are readers out there who are delicate by nature and cannot tolerate discussion that isn't about jelly beans and angel wings and puppy dog kisses, then they shouldn't be on this board.  It might upset them too much....lol   Or perhaps they should only read things in Jewelry or Holiday where they will feel safe. 

Seriously? So everyone should just express every single thought that pops into their head no matter how rude or offensive? I disagree.

I like spirited discourse and strong opinions, but this is a message board with rules put in place for a reason. Many times posters do take it too far.

I have pretty thick skin, but I can see how some thread titles could be viewed as tacky, thoughtless, or too graphic. What is the motivation behind posting a disturbing or graphic title other than shock value or attention?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Mominohio, and I've noticed that they lurk until the thread is well underway and then come en force, ultimately forcing the thread to be closed. I also think that one inappropriate flag to the mods isn't likely to get a post poofed.

I have wondered and supposed that it depends on which mod is deciding, how frustrated they are that day (as some days, it goes from one thread to another, all the same basic topic, and the same people attacking) with reopening of topics that were closed. I suspect that the mods "know" a number of the most frequent posters, who constantly report, and perhaps try to ignore them. In the meantime, the thread gets mean and out of hand.

I think some mods let a thread go for quite some time, hoping that some constructive discourse among the snark will turn the tide. And I think when they have to remove too many posts, they get tired of monitoring it and just shut it down.

Let's face it. They are human, and left to babysit their younger siblings here. I think some of them enjoy the back and forth (as long as it isn't mean) and others have very little nerve for it.