Super Contributor

Re: man wins qvc refund battle after tragedy

I order fairly often from QVC. A few years ago I got pretty sick for almost 2 weeks. During the time I had been sick, two rings I had plans on returning past the 30 day return policy. When I got better and realized it I called QVC and explain the situation to them, and I nicely ask them if they will let me return them even though I passed the 30 day policy. if they had told me no, I would've understood. However the rep was extremely nice and let me return the rings anyway and they credit my credit card.

I don't think it was fair of this man to do what he did. It made him look cold, cheap and like he was just looking for publicity. I think that was very wrong of him to get outsiders involved. QVC did nothing wrong.

Honored Contributor

Okay, obviously the first cs rep gave the man incorrect information.  Out of fairness to those of us who actually follow the rules, they should have held him to the 30 day rule.  But cs rep made a promise and Qvc should have stood by that promise.  Sad stories aside, I have no doubt that thousands up thousands of husbands have been in similar circumstances but claiming a refund that they were not entitled to never ocurred to them.

Honored Contributor

I remember when my sister in laws sister passed away, her husband invited my sister over along with some of his wives good friends to go through the numerous QVC, and HSN boxes that had never been opened...I also have a friend, well we used to be good friends, but hardly ever see each other now, anyway she was ordering so much from QVC that she had several garage sales and had all sorts of goodies for a steal..High thread count sheets, makeup and skincare that had never been opened, Valerie items,Christmas decor,etc.....Some people I think get a thrill out of ordering and getting the boxes......   

Super Contributor

She probably had items on auto delivery; Qvc definitely needed to be told that she was now deceased; some of the unopened boxes probably from auto delivery. Qvc did the right thing by giving the surviving spouse a refund.  

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

"Tom found unopened boxes and packages from QVC at their home in Franklin County."

This is the classic case of today's mindset.

"Not my problem."

Don't see how this was QVC's original problem to solve.

He was so distraught w/ the death of his wife, he's trying to return old clothes & then runs to an advocate 'watchdog' news source when he doesn't get what he wants?

I feel QVC was extremely generous with the outcome.

👏👏👏👏QVC!

"Carbaugh received a $1,500 refund a few weeks later."

If I had found unopened boxes in my stepmom's home after she passed away I would not have asked for a refund.   But, if any were within 30 days I would have just returned them.  

Respected Contributor

Long story short, he's a strange man with a short grieving period.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Before I read the entire thread and viewed the link, my first thought was that this was for auto-delivery that QVC wouldn't cancel and he was returning those items and wanted a refund, etc.

Viewed the link: all items are going to charity as WELL as the refund he received. So... what, exactly, was his motive? Why not just give it all to charity and write it off? Why the refund, especially as he isn't going to keep it?

She was dead 2 days after going into the hospital, were married for 50 years, love of his life and he's worried about returning packages from QVC? Something doesn't add up to ME.

But I'm a cynic, so...

@SahmIam When someone passes and you need to remove the deceased person's clothes, etc it becomes a daunting task.  I'm sure it was overwhleming to him to also see many unopened boxes - It probably made him angry too.  Of course it was not Qvc's problem but they did agree to refund him until they didn't.  

My stepmom had no online accounts but she held onto clothing and just stuff from her days as a legal secretary in the 70's and 80's and it was a huge - no massive undertaking to get rid of all of it....a laborious task going through each and every piece and it made me angry as it was time consuming and backbreaking.  I still grieved for her and continue to do so but that doesn't change any other emotion you may be feeling at the time.  

Honored Contributor

@Moretofollow wrote:

She probably had items on auto delivery; Qvc definitely needed to be told that she was now deceased; some of the unopened boxes probably from auto delivery. Qvc did the right thing by giving the surviving spouse a refund.  

Only 3 items were in the 30 day window.  Absolutely he should be refunded for those 3 items. 

But to go back to January of last year?  She died in Sept. and for him to send 'stuff' back from the beginning of the year is ridiculous and expect a refund?

Dear QVC--

I wouldn't think any less of you-- if you hadn't refunded the monies.

(Because I am not ignorant to the rules.)

Super Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

Only 3 items were in the 30 day window.  Absolutely he should be refunded for those 3 items. 

But to go back to January of last year?  She died in Sept. and for him to send 'stuff' back from the beginning of the year is ridiculous and expect a refund?

Dear QVC--

I wouldn't think any less of you-- if you hadn't refunded the monies.

(Because I am not ignorant to the rules.)

Their decision.  As I stated, not something I would have done.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DoxieMomma wrote:

Again, this is NOT shopping channels fault. The person has to be declared of not sound mind and her family has to step in to cut off her credit cards. Otherwise all of us other diligent shoppers will be absorbing the returns/complaints of people who are buying stuff they cannot afford & I do not think that is right or fair. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF & STOP BLAMING COMPANIES FOR YOUR OWN FAILINGS.

@ILOVE ME Wow!  Cap locks!  lol

Qvc agreed to the refund until they didn't so he contacted his local tv station.  I'm sure corporate did not fire or reprimand anyone at Qvc yet here you are screaming. Too funny.