Trusted Contributor

Re: man wins qvc refund battle after tragedy

I found unopened QVC boxes in my mom's garage after she died, returning them never crossed my mind. We opened the boxes & sold the items at an estate sale that I had before I sold her house.

Honored Contributor

When my mom died, the last thing I was thinking about was returning the numerous QVC boxes I found in her bedroom. Everything was donated to charity a few months later. It was hard enough going through her clothing and possessions without going to a News station to get help in bending the rules.

I think what he did was abhorent and I think QVC is a nice company to have taken everything back past the normal return policy. I guess they didn't want the publicity of this guy....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like others have said, it was really nice of the Q to do this; I'm sure they just wanted it to go away.  I think it's bad he escalated his complaint to a tv station.  And to disparage his wife's memory by telling everyone she was a compulsive shopper? 

Honored Contributor

I think he has now opened Pandora's box...this could become a really costly problem for qvc.I guess they will have to start adding this type of cost into all of our purchases to cover these types of requests.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

"Tom found unopened boxes and packages from QVC at their home in Franklin County."

This is the classic case of today's mindset.

"Not my problem."

Don't see how this was QVC's original problem to solve.

He was so distraught w/ the death of his wife, he's trying to return old clothes & then runs to an advocate 'watchdog' news source when he doesn't get what he wants?

I feel QVC was extremely generous with the outcome.

👏👏👏👏QVC!

"Carbaugh received a $1,500 refund a few weeks later."

It's the today mindset of "But it's ME and the rules don't apply."  It's entitlement.  And if it's on tv, you are entitled.  TV determines who gets what in so many cases now.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I certainly don't mean to be cold hearted, but if these folks could afford to travel around the  world, not once but maybe twice, what is the point of him returning $1500 worth of clothing? I could see if these people were poor and needed the money to bury his wife, but it doesn't appear this was the problem.

When he contacted Q initially, and they said they would honor the returns, that was kind and good customer service. Whatever got lost in the process was indeed something he did not need to be dealing with at that point in time for sure. The fact that Q did give the refund after being contacted by the station is also more than generous in my opinion, but honestly with that kind of 'bad publicity' they really had no choice as a business, but to do this. 

I don't see why the guy didn't just donate the things in the beginning, as it appears the financial loss for the items wasn't much of a sacrifice for their situation. ON the surface it seems like he was being cheap. His wife got joy and therapy out of buying things for a future she was hoping to have (and we aren't talking about a huge amount of money on these things). I would have been happy to give those things to others who would get great joy and use out of having them.

It's funny but we were talking about this yesterday (see bold type I added above).  This  is bullying by the media.  QVC shouldn't have been obligated to return the items.  It's was following its policy that applies to all.  So the rest of the customers foot the bill and the company is harrassed by the media.

Was it fair to QVC?  No.  Did they do anything wrong or cruel?  No.  Did it make a good story for the media?  Yes.  You see it on the news so often now.  Just call the media and you'll get your way.  Some of this "consumer" story trend is good; but an awful lot of it is uncalled for now. 

Just a thought.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I certainly don't mean to be cold hearted, but if these folks could afford to travel around the  world, not once but maybe twice, what is the point of him returning $1500 worth of clothing? I could see if these people were poor and needed the money to bury his wife, but it doesn't appear this was the problem.

When he contacted Q initially, and they said they would honor the returns, that was kind and good customer service. Whatever got lost in the process was indeed something he did not need to be dealing with at that point in time for sure. The fact that Q did give the refund after being contacted by the station is also more than generous in my opinion, but honestly with that kind of 'bad publicity' they really had no choice as a business, but to do this. 

I don't see why the guy didn't just donate the things in the beginning, as it appears the financial loss for the items wasn't much of a sacrifice for their situation. ON the surface it seems like he was being cheap. His wife got joy and therapy out of buying things for a future she was hoping to have (and we aren't talking about a huge amount of money on these things). I would have been happy to give those things to others who would get great joy and use out of having them.

It's funny but we were talking about this yesterday (see bold type I added above).  This  is bullying by the media.  QVC shouldn't have been obligated to return the items.  It's was following its policy that applies to all.  So the rest of the customers foot the bill and the company is harrassed by the media.

Was it fair to QVC?  No.  Did they do anything wrong or cruel?  No.  Did it make a good story for the media?  Yes.  You see it on the news so often now.  Just call the media and you'll get your way.  Some of this "consumer" story trend is good; but an awful lot of it is uncalled for now. 

Just a thought.  

@Sooner

I agree totally!

The time, money, effort and publicity wasted on this particular 'case' could have gone so much farther in helping some consumer (by the TV station and reporter) who was indeed a victim of fraud or shoddy workmanship. 

These kinds of local TV features do a lot of good for the community, expose scams and 'businesses' that take advantage of people, take their money, do substandard work etc. 

But in this case, items past a return date with a major company....well, that station/reporter was simply looking for ratings. They knew darn well they would be able to look like they 'took down' the 'big guys' at a company as massive as QVC. It was all about ratings, nothing about public service to their viewers, or relieving some of the pain this man was going through in dealing with his wife's death. In my opinion, the TV station used this guy, and he used them, and both were 'wrong' in the approach they took with this.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio @Sooner I totally agree with both your points of view, the husband was out of line.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

The death of a spouse .....it would never occur to me to be concerned about QVC purchases/returns.  

@phoenixbrd   I worked in a natural food and supplement store for 25 years.... MANY MANY PEOPLE returned boxes of supplements that their spouses had bought  after the spouse passed away... I mean OLD OLD PRODUCTS. It was usually men and their wives had died.  I was also so suprised that they people were so concerned to get money back on all this STUFF... like that was the  most important part of their wife dying.  We rarely gave them credit for anything as  like I said the vitamins were OLD.  Weird thing to worry about .... people are so STRANGE.

Honored Contributor

It was good PR for the Q.  They didn't have to do it, and they knew it.