Honored Contributor

man wins qvc refund battle after tragedy

man tries to return his deceased wifes purchases from qvc.

In Your Corner Investigative Reporter Kendra Nichols reached out to QVC via email to ask why the company did not honor its first decision, which was to refund Carbaugh his money and let him return the unused items.

“We have looked into the issue with Mr. Carbaugh’s return. Our customer service team is in the process of reaching out to Mr. Carbaugh to apologize for this inconvenience. QVC plans to refund him for the items and, to avoid further inconvenience to Mr. Carbaugh, he is welcome to keep or donate them to an organization of his choice,” corporate communications manager Ilana McCabe said.

http://abc27.com/2017/01/17/in-your-corner-team-helps-man-win-refund-battle-after-tragedy/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Re: man wins qvc refund battle after tragedy

[ Edited ]

His original point of contact at Qvc who agreed to refund him should have just done so instead of telling him to return everything.  The warehouse with all its many locations has no authority to issue refunds past 30 days and has always been beleaguered with a lack of effective communication between departments; in this case expecting them to read and understand a directive from a manager in customer service was just way too much for them to handle.  Then there's the letter from the customer that they probably had no understanding of at all and no interest in researching.  Pathetic! 

I'm glad his local tv station was able to clear it up for him.  The whole thing was probably a pain to deal with.  The Qvc I knew many years ago would have handled it correctly.

Honored Contributor

"Tom found unopened boxes and packages from QVC at their home in Franklin County."

This is the classic case of today's mindset.

"Not my problem."

Don't see how this was QVC's original problem to solve.

He was so distraught w/ the death of his wife, he's trying to return old clothes & then runs to an advocate 'watchdog' news source when he doesn't get what he wants?

I feel QVC was extremely generous with the outcome.

👏👏👏👏QVC!

"Carbaugh received a $1,500 refund a few weeks later."

Honored Contributor

The death of a spouse .....it would never occur to me to be concerned about QVC purchases/returns.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I certainly don't mean to be cold hearted, but if these folks could afford to travel around the  world, not once but maybe twice, what is the point of him returning $1500 worth of clothing? I could see if these people were poor and needed the money to bury his wife, but it doesn't appear this was the problem.

When he contacted Q initially, and they said they would honor the returns, that was kind and good customer service. Whatever got lost in the process was indeed something he did not need to be dealing with at that point in time for sure. The fact that Q did give the refund after being contacted by the station is also more than generous in my opinion, but honestly with that kind of 'bad publicity' they really had no choice as a business, but to do this. 

I don't see why the guy didn't just donate the things in the beginning, as it appears the financial loss for the items wasn't much of a sacrifice for their situation. ON the surface it seems like he was being cheap. His wife got joy and therapy out of buying things for a future she was hoping to have (and we aren't talking about a huge amount of money on these things). I would have been happy to give those things to others who would get great joy and use out of having them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll add to my previous comment that it almost dishonored her memory. Not to ask QVC to do this, but instead of handling it with the company directly till satisfied, calling in the TV station and making it such a big deal and so public. It kind of made a public spectacle of things (including her way of dealing with her illness and death by shopping, which some will scorn), and had I been his wife, I would not have wanted my death to be remembered in this light. I would not want people to be able to interpret that this amount of money was so important to him at this time, that he had to 'go public' with something of this nature and relatively small importance during a time of such loss.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read the article, on a tablet and the link isn't working. But in general you never know the reality behind someone's outward lifestyle. I know someone who is 67 this year and still has to work. She lives a very lavish lifestyle, travels all over the world. Winters for four months in a 5 plus grand a month condo. Lives in a half million dollar condo and sold a million dollar plus house. But she's always complaining about financial problems. Lots of debt.

So lifestyle is no indication that someone wouldn't need money. Some people literally go broke trying to maintain a certain lifestyle and image.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

I see the other side of the coin. My friend's mom is living floor to ceiling Q boxes. She is crazy, but not certifiably crazy/dememtia. Her kids have begged Q to shut down her account to no avail. I'm sure she is one of thousands who overspend online /tv

Honored Contributor

He's probably like my husband just never wanted her to order anything in the first place and this was his way of thumbing his nose and getting back at them since he couldn't CONTROL her spending.

With men it's all about CONTROL.

Valued Contributor

Was she hiding them?  How did he not know about all of these purchases?

It was very nice of QVC to refund his money.  They didn't really have to do that in the first place.