Regular Contributor

Anybody have the problem where if you open your mouth or yawn too wide there jaw locks and you can't talk. your jaw makes a squish sound. I figured out how to remedy this by pushing on the side, usually left and it will loosen or pop. Freaked me out first time it happened.

Respected Contributor

Happened to me a couple times during a dentist visit.  Held it open so long when they were doing work that it locked.  When they told me to close and I couldn't they felt really bad and they told me to move my bottom jaw left and right to loosen it.

Trusted Contributor

I've had mine snap out of place, after a dental appointment.  I had my mouth opened very wide.  But, my jaw felt ok.  A few hours later, while eating dinner, my jaw "snapped" sideways and I thought I lost a tooth because it came down so hard.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Frequent Contributor

I know several people who had to stop taking fosamax because it can cause jaw problems.

Respected Contributor

Yes, It's scary.

Respected Contributor

@fuzzball76 wrote:

Anybody have the problem where if you open your mouth or yawn too wide there jaw locks and you can't talk. your jaw makes a squish sound. I figured out how to remedy this by pushing on the side, usually left and it will loosen or pop. Freaked me out first time it happened.

You are developing TMJ............now if you were 17-21 years old I might say you were having a bit of a problem because your thrid molars were probably coming in, but I feel kinda safe sayin that's not the problem here Woman Happy  See your dentis,t he can help you out with this..........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

My Mom and Dad were at an Ohio State football game.  My Mom yelled so much her mouth locked open.  They had to take her through the crowd (with her mouth open) to the first aid center!

Respected Contributor

Yep, I had TMJ & was miserable for awhile.  You should have it checked out.  There are repercussions for not having it looked at.  TMJ is no fun if that is what you are dealing with.  

Valued Contributor

Sounds like TMJ. Your dentist can size you for a retainer, after assessing you of course.Chiropractors can also give adjustments to help ease the pain. Ice and NSAIDs.

I'm not a medical doctor, but I've had this since I was a youngling.